• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4P power supply rating?

FireBox

Experienced Member
Does anyone have a clue as to what the rating is for the 4 outputs?

+5
+12
+12 regulated

Thank-you,

Matt

If it has the Astec supply (most do) here is the info:

Mfg. - ASTEC
Mfg. #AC9335-01
8" x 4-3/8" x 2-3/8"
Input: 115 VAC, 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz
Output: +5 VDC @ 6 amp
+12 VDC @ 1.5 amp
+12 VDC @ 2.1 amp
-12 VDC @ 250 mA

All the power supplies are working. I just like the idea of using ring lugs to connect things and get rid of the molex pins.

Matt

That looks like an 8" floppy power supply. Many, many years ago, I had a mod for the Mod 4 FDC that allowed you to use 8" floppies. Ran a BBS for years on that old modified machine with a pair of Shugart double-sided drives - man, were those noisy. A friend designed a circuit that would unload the heads and shut off the AC motors after 30-60 seconds. He called it the "8" shutter-upper". :p

Yep, the Shugarts used 120VAC motors with belt drive to the flywheel. When you killed the power to a pair of them it put a pretty good spike in the power line. If I dig out in the garage long enough, I'll probably find the drawing Lou did after the fact. Seems that they needed a variety of voltages including 24VDC.

They were noisy, but reliable as all get-out. Wasn't but a few years later that the HD 3 1/2" drives arrived with a smidge more capacity, easier interfacing, a lot quieter and a whole lot cheaper. By that time, I'd moved the BBS to a PC clone and was part of Fido-net (100/555).

Back