• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model III display issue

vladstamate

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have a TRS-80 Model III that was working fine until I had to move it across country and now, when I turn it on it shows me this. Where can I start investigating what is wrong?

IMG_0407.jpg

Regards,
Vlad.

Vlad,
Actually, having any video displayed is a good sign. At least everything is working, just not correctly.

I'd suggest carefully opening up the Model 3 (lift the top straight up and protect the CRT neck), and have a look at all the IC's that are in Sockets
along with all the cables and anything that could have vibrated loose during the move. Maybe try reseating the socketed IC's.

If you hold down the BREAK KEY when powering on, do you get this same display of characters all the time?

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the suggestion. Pressing BREAK during startup (actually during reset only I made it work) it actually works. As in I can get to the BASIC prompt and that seems fully functional.

I opened another Model III about a year ago (I have 2) and I remember it was not simple as the case is attached in many points to the logic board in the back and the CRT. I almost never seen so many screws just to get the case off.

Regards,
Vlad.

Back