• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Models 2/12/16

danielbooneamerica

Experienced Member
Please give me the 30k ft version of what collectors have today.

As I understand RS used Xenix on these models as well as TRSDOS.

I see lots of projects going on for these bigger machines and am wondering if you have source for Xenis or working from object/executables only?

And second part of my question is, TRSDOS for these machines, did it have its own verion of 6.2.x? If so could you run model 4 apps on these machines unchanged (provided they were well mannerd)?

I do realize it had a completely different I/O etc but if programs only talked to hardware via OS I wondered if they worked across all platforms?

Thank you.

My machine is in a very slow restoration so I am not running much. Ideally I would like to run Xenix on it primarily ( I have plans for running it on my Model II and Apple LISA) but its been on the back burner. But watching whats out there as far as RAM card upgrades and 68K cards. If they make them it would certainly light a fire under me to get back on that machine again.

There is a version of LSDOS 6.x that runs on the Model II series. There is a copy of it on Pete's site. And yes Model 4 LSDOS programs will run on it.

Tom

The Tandy 8" community is relatively small today but not insignificant. It is also a very passionate community. Most aspire to run XENIX which is the crown jewel of 8" operating systems. It's also the most difficult OS to get running on these machines due to it's hardware requirements. You generally need the 68K board set, a hard drive interface board and a Tandy hard drive. And they all need to be in very good working order. It's a big challenge to keep one of these XENIX systems in operating condition.

However, a lot of folks are happy with TRSDOS, many flavors of CP/M, LS-DOS, DOSPLUS, none of which require the extensive hardware of XENIX. There are even projects to get OASIS back up and running as well as the aborted first multi-user OS for the Model 16, UNOS.

There is also new hardware being reproduced, such as USB keyboard adapters, HD emulators like the FreHD48, MMU reproductions, 68K memory boards, etc.

The amount of documentation and software available for download now rivals many of the other more popular vintage platforms.

All in all, compared to when I first joined the community 6 years ago, things are looking bright for the Model II/16/12/16B/6000 enthusiasts.

Again this shows power of TRSDOS design.

One OS working across several hardware platforms and designed that way from groud up was standard for larger systems but a breakthrough for microcomputers.

well, Trsdos isn't limited to the 2/12/16 series, it started with Model 1, III, 4, 4D, 4P as well. :)
As Pete said the Big business machines have been slowly getting traction once again. if only to attract dedicated engineers and programmers that desire the best for their line of machines. as well with Some Model 3(needed hardware addition),ran natively on 4, 4D, 4P and 2/12/16/6000 had cpm2.2 in common.

Back