• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Monitor

mikehoward

Anyody got a monitor they want to turn loose. I just found 2 994a's still in plastic wrap. Paid 25 dollars a piece for them
Mike H..

Doesn't it depend on the exact model and revision how well a TI-99 connects to a TV? In any case I think a RF modulator may be required unless you have a video cable of some sort. If I recall correctly, the very first models output a kind of component video (native to the TMS video chip) while the latter ones output regular composite video. This is however based on what I've read, not personal experiences.

I broke out my silver one, and it has a large-din connector that goes to the AV jacks of a TV set or a monitor capable of it. There's also an RF modulator that plugs into this and lets you go to the coax/antenna, though.

FYI, I use the same cable for this, and all of the Atari 8-bit machines, they are the same pinout afaik. They all work great on the C= monitor.

Cannot comment on the plastic-shell model, I don't have one of those.

Nathan

I broke out my silver one, and it has a large-din connector that goes to the AV jacks of a TV set or a monitor capable of it. There's also an RF modulator that plugs into this and lets you go to the coax/antenna, though.

Building an AV cable is easy, using a stereo audio cable with RCA plugs on both ends and a DIN-5 plug from Radio Shack. Chop off the RCA plugs from one end of the cable and solder the two shields to pin 2, the center conductor of the video side to pin 4 and the center conductor of the audio side to pin 3. I've used this cable on both the silver and tan TI-99/4A models.

Monitor

I think you guys are right. I believe I was thinking of commodore 64. It has a composite output. The TI dosen't. Thanks anyway.
Mike H.

Actually now when I think about it, I believe the TI-99/4 has the "odd" component like output, while the TI-99/4A (US/NTSC edition) has the composite output which happens to be pretty much the same cable as used on the VIC-20, Atari 800/600XL/800XL and can also be used on a C64 although the latter offers a better picture with S-video.

Back