• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mousedesk disk

KG7PFS

Experienced Member
Where can I order an actual, physical disk (original or copy) with Apple's Mousedesk?

I've read that Geos has advantages and disadvantages, including incompatibility with standard ProDos software. Is this true? Which desktop is better and why?

Please don't tell me to download Mousedesk. Even in the unlikely event that it has a floppy drive, no P.C. can write to an Apple II disk, and I don't have an SD drive.

I have a windows 10 (gag) (choke) (puke) convertable, and a USB 3.5" floppy drive. Do you really expect me to beleive this can write an Apple disk image? According to adtpro.com it has to run on the Apple as well as the P.C. How am I supposed to get it there? It connects the Apple and P.C. using a serial port (the P.C. doesn't have one) or ethernet (I'd like to see you try to connect that to a //c).

So, where can I _order_ an actual, useable, physical disk with Mousedesk?

No need to be incredulous. Adtpro could potentially get you what you want right now, instead of waiting on someone to copy and mail you a floppy disk.

//c have serial ports.

On the full size apples you might need to add a superserial card if you don’t already have one. Or you can use the cassette interface with an 1/8” audio jacks.

I’ve used adtpro on windows 10 64bit using a usb-serial dongle. It worked fine.

Do you know if these disks are copy protected? If so that might get in the way of adtpro working.

I'd have to find a USB-serial cable that's compatible with Windows 10 (not too hard) then order a cable or parts to build one with to connect the //c. Why not just order the disk? Like I asked about in the first place? I think I made it pretty clear that I am NOT INTERESTED in downloading a disk image and wasting time on all this extra hassle with a P.C. Again, since I would have to order parts to connect them in the first place (this should be pretty obvious even to you) then I might as well leave out garbage I don't want to deal with and just order the disk.

Is there anyone out there who can sell me a copy of Mousedesk for the Apple //c on an actual useable disk without harrassing me about P.C. stuff I already said I'm not interested in?

You can't "order" Mousedesk because no one is distributing it anymore. Either look for an original on ebay (hope you know what that will cost you), or ask someone to send you a copy on a physical disk.

Still can't understand your dislike to get ADTPro running. It's easy as hell especially on the IIc. All you need to do is making a serial connection between the PC and the IIc and typing in a small bootstrap code on the IIc (see here). ADTPro will then copy itself over from the PC to the IIc and you can start transfering whatever disk image you want.

But I guess Mousedesk is the only software you ever want to use on your IIc.

I dunno, I'd be pretty incredulous too, despite it being "easy" you still need the bibs and bobs to make it work...if someone can hand pass you some media so much easier. If not, think about it for plan B :)

> or ask someone to send you a copy on a physical disk.

I've done that at least three times. I guess such a simple request is beyond the intelligenmce of the average Apple II user. All other Apple II software is available on ebay.

If you go for the factory original disks, you will miss out on the cool Flying Toasters screen savers and other fixes enthusiasts have added.

Sounds like you are assuming you know how adtpro works and that its not going to work for you. You are completely wrong in this case. So listen to what we are saying. Adtpro will work on your windows 10 machine... Buy this cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-IIc-...266293?hash=item3659596af5:g:JC8AAOSwdm1bJIKX

Make whatever floppies you want.. Done.. Easy, no problems. No need to beg someone else to do it for you. Your usb floppy is irrelevant as you dont seem to know how adtpro works. Go watch a video or check out the ADTPRo website. ITs pretty damn amazing and useful. I use it all the time.
And my laptop doesnt have a serial port either, so what. Buy one of these problem solved:https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Conv...&keywords=usb+to+serial&qid=1592834432&sr=8-3

You got to stop throwing your hands up in the air with all these "I cants!" without looking at the big picture.

I've done that at least three times. I guess such a simple request is beyond the intelligenmce of the average Apple II user. All other Apple II software is available on ebay.

I don't think your going to get people lining up to help you with your attitude. This is more of a we will help you to help yourself forum. This is an easy task that you seem unwilling to do. You seem to have a bad attitude about it as well.

Last edited:
And as for that apple II software up on ebay. Those are people using ADTPro to make disk for pennies and sell them at hugely bloated prices. Why do that when you can have the entire apple II library of tens of thousands of titles at your fingertips?

Verault, you are the one with an attitude problem. I am not interested in wasting time with PCs. I ask a simple question - can someone make me a copy of a disk - and instead, all you can do is shove what I said I didn't want down my throat. Why?

I don't think your going to get people lining up to help you with your attitude. This is more of a we will help you to help yourself forum. This is an easy task that you seem unwilling to do. You seem to have a bad attitude about it as well.

I've sent a few people floppy disks in the past. I have no problem doing things like that to help people. I don't think I've ever even charged anyone for it. I think this is a fun hobby, not a business for me. But I always try to help them make their own disks first, because otherwise they are always going to come back here when they need the next new thing. I understand some people aren't very technical and trying to do fastlynx for a DOS machine or ADTpro for an apple might be overwhelming the first time. But I don't expect people to be condescending and insulting because they cannot understand how to do it.

I've sent a few people floppy disks in the past. I have no problem doing things like that to help people. I don't think I've ever even charged anyone for it. I think this is a fun hobby, not a business for me. But I always try to help them make their own disks first, because otherwise they are always going to come back here when they need the next new thing. I understand some people aren't very technical and trying to do fastlynx for a DOS machine or ADTpro for an apple might be overwhelming the first time. But I don't expect people to be condescending and insulting because they cannot understand how to do it.

You are right Jafir of course! When I couldn't get my Osborne 1 working a local member in Connecticut let me barrow and copy some of his disks as Diskimg wasn't working for my copies. But With ADTPro, its easy and effortless. "Teach a man to fish...." etc. When I was having trouble with Diskimg I was trying to do it all myself and having help on the forums, I didnt just throw up my hands.. Call every CP/M user an idiot and demand they make me copies...

Jafir, I started with a very simple request. I said wat I wanted, and what I didn't. Verault immediately started attacking me with what I said I didn't want, and he won't quit. I only have to say "no" once. It's not my fault he can't understand such a big word.

I'll pay for the disk, the postage, the time and the trouble. I would like to get my Apple //c up and running as soon as possible. I might dig the PC out of it's box under the bed later, and order a bunch of cables etc., but I see no reason to do so now. I don't want to. I don't like my PC.

Jafir, I started with a very simple request. I said wat I wanted, and what I didn't. Verault immediately started attacking me with what I said I didn't want, and he won't quit. I only have to say "no" once. It's not my fault he can't understand such a big word.

I'll pay for the disk, the postage, the time and the trouble. I would like to get my Apple //c up and running as soon as possible. I might dig the PC out of it's box under the bed later, and order a bunch of cables etc., but I see no reason to do so now. I don't want to. I don't like my PC.

I never attacked you once buddy, don't put typed words in my mouth. What you are doing right now is attacking me. I was giving advice trying to help. But since you seem to have lost your big boy pants and are acting like a child you set the tone for this thread. You have a real bad attitude and don't deserve help from this forum if you behave like that.

Last edited:
Verault, I said I didn't want to use adtpro and I said it loud and clear. You wouldn't shut up about it and you still won't. How is repeatedly telling me to do what I said I didn't want to helpful?

I feel for you... the blindingly simple just made hard... where are you?

Back