• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Moving: Free Macintosh SE... Local Pickup or Pay Shipping

Osgeld

Experienced Member
In 2010 I visited a local wasteland that at the time was taking in E-scrap and pulling all its metal off and passing the buck, they lasted maybe 2 years

while I was in there I yanked out a couple mac's sitting in mud puddles (along with some other lewt) out of the two mac's one that would boot after spending months face down in a mud puddle was a 1986 SE with a 800k floppy disk and a 40 meg hard drive.

And that is what I want to give away today

its a Mac SE, 8mhz model with a non working 800k Floppy disk, replacement working 80MB hard drive, maxed out 4 megs of ram and system 7.0.1

It DOES REQUIRE a analog board capacitor replacement, but currently functions if you can tolerate a 1 second screen spaz every few seconds (honestly after 6 years, once you focus in on what your doing its not horrid, but it will fail eventually)

It DOES REQUIRE a new 800k floppy disk if you want to use the disk drive, I always transferred everything to it via serial port and Zterm cause even if the drive worked I have like 2 DSDD 3.5 inch disks in my entire collection

I clipped off the dead pram battery so you will have to replace that if you want a clock that keeps time, otherwise its un-needed

physical condition, considering where it came from is not that bad, it is missing the expansion slot cover (it had a radius card in it that was dead), it is quite tan, but not yellow, and there is a hairline crack in the lower right hand of the monitor bezel. there are also scuff marks along the edges and a slight scuff in the CRT

Working but needs some work, free to a good home, dont need it as my classic mac anymore since I have a color LC taking over duties with a 18 inch lcd

PC300002.JPG
PC300002.jpg

can be seen in this instrucables article when I first picked it out
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-system-70-software-on-a-classic-mac-using/

edit: forgot to mention Nashville TN area for pickup

Last edited:
I'd be interested in it if shipping is reasonable.

Do you still have the Radius card for it or did you toss it?

I used to have a SE back in the late 90s but it met an unfortunate end when moving from CO to TX. Evasive maneuvers on the freeway broke the drive cage loose which smashed into the CRT neck and shattered it and then slammed down on the motherboard and cracked it like 3/4 the way on the right side.

Strangely it completely missed the 68030 upgrade board in it, not a scratch on it. Though I have no idea if it still works since it's been sitting in a drawer since that day (about 18 years ago)

tossed it as it was preventing the machine from booting

send me your zip code I will look into how much it will cost to ship to you

I dont know If I mentioned in the original post I dont have a keyboard or mouse to spare for it

ZIP code is 78610

I have several Apple Extended Keyboards and mice which should work fine with it.

I'd prefer shipping via USPS if possible, UPS has destroyed too many things of mine and Fedex is a tad on the expensive side.

rough estimate 44$ USPS (or about 37 normal ground)

if your still interested I can get it packed up and make a more detailed shipping cost (i measured on the fat side of things), and use Paypal pricing

Yeah go ahead and pack it up. If it's not over $45 then I'll take it.

Do you have the ridiculously long driver required to remove the screws from inside the carrying handle? I forgot if it's a hex head or a phillips but I remember having a heck of a time finding anything that can reach those holes.

Hi ... Please use email or private messages for the shipping discussion.

Do you have the ridiculously long driver required to remove the screws from inside the carrying handle?

I made one by expoxing a torx bit into a bit of thin pipe you can have

I dunno if I could ever glue a 10 cent driver bit into a bit of scrap punmatic tubing again... I have to think about it :p

nah its no prblem I dont have any more all in one bucket mac's that need it, and If I ever do again well they are cheap

Yeah that saves the hassle of having to get one.

Back when I was in Highschool 16 years ago, my computer repair teacher had to find and order one of the *official* tools for taking them apart. I remember them being an arm and a leg back then and they were already near unobtanium items then. He had a whole pile of crackerbox Macs and wanted to turn some of the more troublesome ones into aquariums.

Back