• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MT32 Cm64L Issues with World of Xeen

Fanatik

Experienced Member
I have been trying to diagnose a freezing issue with World of Xeen on my 386 with a 486slxc2 cpu. I am using an Ess Audiodrive card, a PC Midi card, a Roland Mt32 and CM64l. I will also mention that the cd rom is ran through the header on the ESS. The game only freezes when using the MT32 or cm64l, never when installed with Soundblaster or SB Pro as the designated music cards. I've also noticed it usually freezes more often after playing for a while. Before freezing or crashing the music instruments begin to change to the incorrect instruments. Shortly after it'll freeze, I restart the computer and it'll freeze again. It happens most frequently in towns, switching stores. I've tried changing the irq on the sound card from 5 to 7, no change. I've ran it with no sound effects, only the Roland for music, still freezes. Thoughts?

IRQ 9 conflict, maybe? The ESS has MPU-401 as well and may use that IRQ for it just as the PC MIDI card.

I believe the PC Midi card is using IRQ 2. Also, the Mt32 and CM64l work perfectly in other games. Thanks for the reply.

IRQ 2 and 9 are the same!

Other games may not use the MIDI interface in the same way (e.g. UART vs. intelligent)

I'll try switching to 3. I've also noticed that when I have the PC Midi jumpered to port 330 I must select port 320 on the Ess Audiodrive config file for it to work in other games. Port 330 will not work. I've tried it in two PCs, same thing.

I've also noticed that when I have the PC Midi jumpered to port 330 I must select port 320 on the Ess Audiodrive config file for it to work in other games. Port 330 will not work.
Yes, because you can not have two cards sharing the same resources. Doesn't matter if port address, IRQ, or DMA. You may consider deactivating the MPU-401 on the ESS card, as you don't need it if you have the PC MIDI card anyway. Or is there a reason why you have both?

Thank you for that. I realized that enabling port 330 in Esscfg was to enable wavetable port at 330, doing so made the Pc Midi fight over 330 with the Ess Audiodrive. I disabled it and it still freezes, although the Pc midi card is working on port 330 now. I'm almost convinced it just a bug in the game I can't overcome.

Back