• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 2012 Christmas project

JDT

Veteran Member
In the spirit of This Video , I want to design a audio spectrum analyser to interpret sound levels from a line in 3.5mm jack to controll power outlets.

My main idea is this,

Using a computer, duh, as I have some programming experience in both serial and old school sound blaster tinkering (we're talking BASIC here) I was woundering if I can have a machine read the audio input and output to serial (probably to some sort of pic controller?) that will switch "on" a particular outlet in an outlet array.

Making the array of outlets itself is the easy part, probably using a transistor to act as the electric switch? its the controlling them as I'm not familiar with programmable controllers (or a better way?).

Really its just a hopeful idea at this point, there may be something out there already (maybe cheap?)
Anyone else think this might be fun and want to explore options?

Nothing serious, just a passing whim and possibly a fun project. Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

When I was helping a technician with setting up some lights for a concert, he told me they were controlled by MIDI (and they were). So you could see about doing that.

Back