• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My favorite vintage game is Hack

KitWax6

I've played a lot of vintage games on my AT&T 6300, but the best one was Hack (successor to Rogue, and predecessor to NetHack.) I could spend hours on end drinking potions, reading scrolls, and fighting monsters. In the end, I usually failed in my quest to get the Amulet of Yendor. But I died trying!

-- Kit

I enjoy playing hack on OpenBSD.

But the most interesting roguelike is probably ROGUE for CP/M by David Goodenough.
You'll need to find or create a QTERM overlay for your particular system.

so the at&T was a pc compatible, Im a little confused because everything I read about this game says unix/linux. What OS were you playing it under in the mid 80's?

so the at&T was a pc compatible, Im a little confused because everything I read about this game says unix/linux. What OS were you playing it under in the mid 80's?

Hack was one of my favourites too. I played it on a DOS PC and used 2 5,25 disks: one to play, the other to save the game. I had the idea the gamestate disappeared by saving.

Hack became PC-Hack and NetHack, several versions exist. Not only ascii ones, even graphics. I found an Atari and an Amiga version too.

And a very old one to play in WinOne 1.49 only.

Both Unix and MS-DOS. Don Kneller ported Hack from UNIX to MS-DOS in the 1980s.

-- Kit

Back