• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My first Pentium

RobS

Experienced Member
This forum is a bit sparse so here's a contribution. My first PC had a Pentium in it. As I worked in IT and had an adequate Z80 machine of my own I wasn't in any hurry to use a PC at home but eventually bought myself one for my fiftieth birthday, which happened to be the 24th October 1994, a day that some may remember as it was the exact day that Professor Nicely told Intel that he had evidence of the FDIV bug in the Pentium chip. Ah well, it never affected my work and I didn't get it replaced. I still have the Pentium chip although that PC has gone now. It is a unique souvenir of my half-century and I probably have more flaws than it does.

I'm sensing some odd math. Maybe it's a metric to US thing ;-) You said you were already working in IT at 15? What type of work were you doing? How about now?

Ah lol.. well that makes MUCH more sense lol thanks for that. My eyes are about a half century older than I am apparently.

What's metric? A lot of us older Brits still work in cubits and pterodactyls, well feet anyway ... and I can still do pounds, shillings and pence, even mentally converting them to decimals as we had to because our hand-cranked office calculators could only do decimals. Eh lad, there weren't no Pentiums when I were a lad, just a lot of gear wheels and bicycle clips. If you want odd maths try using numbers to the base minus ten. There is something very odd about the maths there, but that's in a completely different forum.

My first was the infamous 66Mhz Pentium. The machine that I use now has a quad 2.5Ghz processor. That's a family of four processors: one to do the housework, two delinquents who spend their time doing heaven-knows-what on the Internet and one that has a little time to pay attention to me; I think it must be the family dog. That's life all over.

Back