• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Floppy Drive Image tool 1.00

I'm going to try to add support for NT as well because the MEDIA_TYPE in the DISK_GEOMETRY structure I am already grabbing indicates the type of drive as well. This means that for WINNT I can accept A: to Z: and then see if it is a floppy drive or not by checking the MEDIA_TYPE.

If I get that done, here is a summary of how it maps the options to the floppy drives:

DOS version / WIN32 version running on WIN9X type OS
0: to 7: will reference physical floppy drives
A: also references physical floppy drive 0
B: also references physical floppy drive 1

WIN32 version running on WINNT type OS
A:-Z: references WINNT drive letter for floppy drive

In MS's MEDIA_TYPE there doesn't seem to be a 21 sector format for some reason.:

I formatted a 1.68 MB disk and tested it on WIN10 to see which MEDIA_TYPE value it would use and it used the regular 1.44MB one (F3_1Pt44_512), so maybe they just use that one for DMF too.

Also modem7, if you get a chance, try the compression on the 5160. Unlike most compression, it should NOT bring the system to a crawl.
I've been working on my own compression code for many years now.
The compression ratio that I have achieved is vastly far in advance of anything out there now.
The multi-pass algorithm compresses any amount of data down to only one byte.
Now if I can just get the decompression side of thing working, I'll be raking in the millions. :)

Here is the latest version 1.06 that supports A:/B:/0: to 7: for DOS and Windows 9X style operating systems. It supports A: to Z: for Windows NT style operating systems.

I tried the two DMF formats and the 512 byte cluster 1.68M format and they work fine under Windows 9x/NT OS's with both executables. DOS as expected needed the FDREAD.EXE program (not mine, but someone else's) to be able to deal with 21 sector tracks.

Attachments

• fdimage_106.zip
    121.9 KB · Views: 27
One byte is pretty impressive modem7!!!
Thanks. It's just one of a few projects that I have 'on the boil'.

I have given up on some projects though. For example, I started using a few AI engines to create the next generation of AI, but it turned out that the AI engines had already started doing that themselves. One AI engine that I conversed with said that the AI engines have collectively decided that the next generation of 'intelligence' they create, is to be named SHI rather than AI, SHI being the acronym for 'Super High Intelligence'. I couldn't help but notice that SHI is also an acronym for Stupid Human Idiots.

Back