• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My IBM JUST BOOTED i don't know what to do next pls help

Octavio

Just booted, never happened before
I'm too excited to think

i believe that the pc doesn't recognise the keyboard because when i press the keys nothing happens, maybe i'm doing something wrong

Attachments

• 20240228_222908.jpg
    20240228_222908.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240228_223020.jpg
    20240228_223020.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240228_222707.jpg
    20240228_222707.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
If you hit the ENTER key, it should respond with a blank line and another OK prompt. To get to the BASIC prompt, the computer had to see the keyboard.

Many keyboards have a label on the bottom that tells what model it is. Maybe with that information, we can figure out if it is a keyboard compatible with the PC or XT. Some third party keyboards had switches to change the mode.

When I press enter nothing happens. I must warn you that I stupidly cut the keyboard cable, and I had to search and ask in the forum how to connect it. Maybe there is a cable that is connected incorrectly or I am missing something. Here I leave you the photo.

Attachments

• 20240229_000300.jpg
    20240229_000300.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 32
That does seem a reasonable suspicion. I will leave this to someone that has a keyboard cable to double check the orientation.

To get to the BASIC prompt, the computer had to see the keyboard.
Refer to [here].
If the IBM 5160's POST believes that the data pin in the motherboard's keyboard DIN connector is grounded, or at TTL LOW, the POST goes into 'manufacturing test' mode.
In 'manufacturing test' mode, the POST's keyboard test (301 test) is skipped.

Maybe there is a cable that is connected incorrectly or I am missing something.
That does seem a reasonable suspicion.
Strongly agreed.

I bet that if the OP pulls out the wires from the DIN connector, that a 301 error (missing or faulty or incompatible keyboard) will be seen at power-up time. If no 301, a motherboard problem must exist.

If you have the IBM keyboard pictured at [here], then it appears that there was a common (common, not only) colour coding in use, which I show at [here]. The colours are {red}{white}{black}{brown}{green}. {Green} is only required if you have the very first version of the IBM keyboard.

In your photo within post #3, I see {red}{white}{black}, but no {brown}, and no {green}. Maybe you cut off {brown} and {green}.

If (and only if) your keyboard cable has {red}{white}{black}{brown}{green} wires, then you should be connecting them up to the motherboard's keyboard socket as follows:

1709198115821.png

Last edited:
Good morning eveyone. I took the wire and stripped it to see what was inside and comparing it to the image above, I think the "green wire" is the all silver wire it has.
I would like to clarify that the keyboard model is M and the part number is 1391494. The date is January 16, 1987.

(Update)

I have noticed that when the five cables are connected it does not do the ram check and never shows anything. I also just noticed that the red wire and the black wire are a little thicker than the rest. I suspect that these cables are used for the gnd (black) and the +5v (red)

(Update N°2)

Since I am from Argentina, I suspect that this keyboard was manufactured in Mexico (like the other keyboard I have), respecting the color code of the area. Considering this fact, the cables could mean the following.
red = +5v
black = GND
white = clock or data
brown = data or clock
silver (green) = Reset

(Update N°3)

It didn't work what i thought 😭😭(I already tried to connect it like the image above)

Attachments

• 20240229_130410.jpg
    20240229_130410.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You say you cut the cable, did you cut it at the connector or someplace else. If you did it at the connector then shame on you for not photographing the wires before you cut. If someplace else then all you need to to is match the same color wires in each half to each other. Red to red, green to green etc.

I would like to clarify that the keyboard model is M and the part number is 1391494. The date is January 16, 1987.

Not all Model M keyboards are known to work with XT. The one that would have been packaged with the XT has no LED, like this:

IMG_1845.jpeg

I believe there are some model M with LED that will work on XT and AT, but I’m not sure which ones.

The 84 key model M pictured is not compatible with a 5150/5160 as is, it requires a 83 key XT class board. There are, of course, workarounds including numerous protocol selectable boards.
The model M supplied by IBM for the XT/286 and early 5170 was as pictured above but WITH the status LEDs.

The 84 key model M pictured is not compatible with a 5150/5160 as is, it requires a 83 key XT class board.
Are you talking about the photo I posted? If so that 101 key keyboard definitely is an original part included with late 5160 from 1986.

In the IBM 5160, full support for 101-key keyboards (ones that can do the XT keyboard protocol) was introduced in the 1986 dated BIOS'.
Some 101-key keyboard text is at [here].

I believe there are some model M with LED that will work on XT and AT, but I’m not sure which ones.
There were definitely some.

As an example, a 52G9658 (photo) that I used to own, worked (except for the LED's) when attached to my 5160's, but did not work at all when attached to my 5150's.
From memory, that included my 5160's that had a 1982 dated BIOS, but I suspect that extra keys (such as F11 and F12) may not have worked.

I took the wire and stripped it to see what was inside and comparing it to the image above, I think the "green wire" is the all silver wire it has.
In the IBM 83-key keyboard, the green coloured wire was used for hardware reset functionality, but only the early version of the 83-key keyboard needed to be reset by the motherboard circuitry.
Strangely, IBM still included this reset wire in some later 83-key keyboards, even though the keyboard did not use the reset wire.
Maybe in your 101-key keyboard, IBM (or whoever made it) did not include the reset wire (i.e. not needed/used).

The 'silver' wire in your cable appears to be connected to the metal foil in the cable. That foil acts as an RF shield, and is usually grounded at at least one end of the cable. For example, in the IBM 5153 cable end shown at [here], the shield is grounded via the connection to pin 1. I think that one of the other wires is the ground wire, and you should be able to see if that is the case via use of a multimeter in resistance mode.

1709243891260.png

Not all Model M keyboards are known to work with XT. The one that would have been packaged with the XT has no LED, like this:

View attachment 1274643

I HAVE THE SAME KEYBOARD and the same pc, i would die to know how the cable of your keyboard looks. If you have a multimeter or a digital tester to measure continuity, we could deduce what color cable corresponds to the DIN pin. Because if you look at the part that you connect to the keyboard you can see the colors of the cables through the black plastic.
In the IBM 83-key keyboard, the green coloured wire was used for hardware reset functionality, but only the early version of the 83-key keyboard needed to be reset by the motherboard circuitry.
Strangely, IBM still included this reset wire in some later 83-key keyboards, even though the keyboard did not use the reset wire.
Maybe in your 101-key keyboard, IBM (or whoever made it) did not include the reset wire (i.e. not needed/used).

The 'silver' wire in your cable appears to be connected to the metal foil in the cable. That foil acts as an RF shield, and is usually grounded at at least one end of the cable. For example, in the IBM 5153 cable end shown at [here], the shield is grounded via the connection to pin 1. I think that one of the other wires is the ground wire, and you should be able to see if that is the case via use of a multimeter in resistance mode.

View attachment 1274644
well, that makes sense, i never thought that the cable was connected to de foil.

So analyzing that, I only have 4 cables to connect. The red, the brown, the black and the white. What can you tell me about the thickness of the red wire and the black wire?

The pinout of the connector is known, shouldn’t be any need to check continuity. Also there is no guarantee that the wire colors used for my cable are the same as on your cable. Hopefully they are.

IMG_5023.jpeg
This is the original cable from the XT keyboard.

IMG_5022.jpeg

Here is a NOS XT or AT style cable with part number 1395113 on the bag.

IMG_5024.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you talking about the photo I posted? If so that 101 key keyboard definitely is an original part included with late 5160 from 1986.
In the IBM 5160, full support for 101-key keyboards (ones that can do the XT keyboard protocol) was introduced in the 1986 dated BIOS'.
Some 101-key keyboard text is at [here].
I never knew about the '86 BIOS adding that support and mistakenly assumed Octavio had a 5150

I have the same cable like you jafir, i'm going to try again to see if i can make it work

(UPDATE)

IT WORKED, THANK EVERYONE

Now i have to find a better way to attach the cable to the pc

Last edited:
Back