• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Juke-box doesn't work

ribbets

Experienced Member
Why won't my peer to peer network work on audio CD's ?
Running Windows 98 and wanted to use my SCSI server as a juke -box.
Software runs great but can't figure how to get the Tunes from point A to point B and play. I can see the CD's in my network but can't get them to play. :twisted: :evil:

Hm, I always thought to play audio cds on a computer you had to have that tiny "audio" cable that ran from the CD drive to the soundcard. I might be thinking old technology here because looking at my Dell I see it doesn't have that cable in it. If you're running Win98, is it on older hardware? Hardware that might need that cable? That's just a guess.

Depending on the machines, you might turn that scsi server into an mp3 server. You should be able to stream those just fine on any Pentium class machine.

Temporary Solution

Temporary Solution

ran speaker wire and a stero jack from the sound card on the server to the speakers on my work station with a Y patch , runs ok,and you have to use Play off the server. But my question is.
Is it because of the audio file format ,or the size of the files that it won't play on the work station. Where's all you sotware people when I need you ???

Can you mount a hard disk from the SCSI server and play music etc directly from it? Maybe it depends on which music player you use on the workstation. I'm not sure if the music CD is mountable as a device by the server. I have faint memories of bridging audio output from a server to a workstation, but it was a case of Sun servers and WAV files rather than a CD.

Is there a reason why you want to play the CD from the server but have the sound at the workstation? Does the latter lack a CD player or is it in use for something else?

File server

File server

The server was my first venture into the world of SCSI. It was a free-be and came out of the local High School. They got rid of it because it took propriority memory from IBM and at that time was next to impossible to find. They got it from a company that ran a large BBS back in the mid 80's.
It has 4 Fast SCSI IBM hard drives for a total 0f 6gig, and 8 Chinon 2X SCSI CD's. It runs off Novel and I can't remember the ver. Has it's own reboot and diagnostic program on a WD IDE 340 meg hard-drive . and has a boot prom on the network card and that has a BNC con and an ether net con. I've have stored every program that I got on this beast. Originally it had Win 3.1 and I put the first ver of Win 95 into it. Win does not start automatically, you just type win at the prompt or wait for a menu program called Point and Shoot to come up and then it will run out of Novell Dos. It has a 486 -33 MB 64 meg of ram and a crystal sound card and a PS2 Paper White VGA Monitor. I hate to mess with it because it runs real good ...... Also came with a modem box and a FRAD which I've got Stored somewhere. So that is why I call it my juke-box
It's about 10"w x28"d x 44"h and has 3 cooling fans. only problem I have is findind the cases for the CD's Which are hinged and fit the old Chinon drives....

Back