• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My KVM setup

Billyray

Experienced Member
This KVM is perfect for old system like this. The only problem I had, was that the ps-2 universal mouse won't work with the 386 pc's serial port. I'm pretty sure it is the adapter's fault. So although the KVM would switch a ps-2 mouse, I have to have both mice available depending on the PC in use. To switch from one to the other, use <scroll lock> <scroll lock> 1 (or) 2. You can also use the KVM buttons to switch manually. Although I use the keyboard method. Both of these PC's: a Gateway 2000 Intel-486 @66mhz and an Acer clone AMD-386 @40mhz are connected to the home network by ethernet and therefore can exchange files easily using the KVM switch. The keyboard is the Gateway 2000 Anykey programmable keyboard, so the keyboard KVM command can be programmed as a single key press.

kvmH.jpgkvm 005.jpgkvmA.jpgkvmF.jpg

The older KVMs that supported serial and PS/2 mice didn't support audio. By the time audio was supported serial mice were long dead. You can get an older Belkin KVM and just use a separate audio switcher.

KVM's are needed for people like me who have a ton of machines.

I couldn't live without KVM either. I've got a 4 port with PS2/USB inputs and one of the channels goes to an older mechanical 4port KVM for some more versatility. Only two of the machines need mouses so not much of an issue.

That said, my main DOS box does have a serial mouse hanging on a hook at the side. The reason is that once or twice a year I do check out a piece of software that needs it, and it's a pain to have to exhume a rodent and plug it in on the spur of the moment. I'm a bit embarrass about it, but the practical side of me won out in that case.

My 4 system KVM in sitting unused at the moment. I do have a monitor switcher for my 286 and 386 machines. There's enough room for both to have there own keyboard and mouse at the moment.

Have an older mechanical KVM somewhere out in the shed. Must drag it out and give it a shot. Need to find some keyboard cables with din plugs at either end to use it as intended though. One of those roundtoit things to do jobs.

Here's the Monitor and keyboard with the two mice. I forgot to add this pic to the first post.

kvmE.jpg

Back