• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 'new' TRS-80 Model 4 ;-)

jeffa

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled upon a Model 4 in a Thrift store with a $5 price tag on it, and found myself putting in in a cart a few moments later. ;-) I learned Basic on a Model III back in the 9th grade (1982), and love classic computers and couldn't resist myself! :D

When I got it home, it would power on, but with seemingly random characters on the screen. I opened it up, and first tried to just re-seat every socketed chip. That changed a little bit, but not much. (different characters... ;-) )

I noticed that the chip leads were somewhat oxidized and discolored, so I took each one out again, and scraped the leads a bit with an xacto until they were shiny and put them back in. ;-) When I got done, now I had a completely blank screen... It's been a long time since I used one, so I fumbled around and finally stumbled upon 'break-reset' to get the 'CASS?" prompt. Progress!!!

I googled my brains out and found Ira's TRS-80 site (http://www.trs-80.com/) and after a few emails back and forth with him, I ended up engaging his services for a set of discs. ;-) And at Ira's suggestion, I cleaned the sliders on the drive and lubed them up (they were both frozen as Ira had predicted they might be).

Once I got the disks, I fired it up, and it works!!! But only drive 0 works - Drive 1 is not working. After doing some troubleshooting (including swapping the drive controller boards between the two drives) I determined that the drive's controller board is ok, but something is physically wrong with the drive itself - the stepper, the spindle motor, or the head...

So I googled around to see what I could do... And I found Larry Kramer's document (www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/Model4_35_Drives.pdf) that documents how to use 3.5" floppy drives with our computes. So I set off to find some 3.5" floppy drives to try it out!!! After a couple of hours work and a stack of floppy drives, I had two working 720K drives with a custom cable. ;-)

So then I began to troubleshoot the 5-1/4 Texas Peripherals drive more. I noticed that the stepper motor for the head positioning was not working right - instead of stepping, it was 'jittering' back and forth a bit. I measured the resistance of the coils, and found one to be open... It just so happens that I had a 'spare' stepper motor from a full-height 5-1/4" floppy that I "gutted' for the stepper motor years ago (dummy, I know!) -- It even has the original connector and '12' written on it, just like the TP drive's stepper, so it was probably from a TP drive as well. ;-) Anyways - I swapped out the stepper motor (quite a feat getting the old one out and the new one in without disassembling things and knocking the alignment off...) - and although it now stepped properly, the drive still doesn't work. :-(

So more googling, and I found several promising sites on how to connect a 360K 5-1/4" floppy, and/or a 1.2MB HD floppy that is 'switchable' to 300rpm, but as luck would have it, I threw out some old 'pc' hardware about a year ago, and some of them had 5-1/4" floppies. :( The only 5-1/4" drive I managed to find was a Canon dual-floppy - model MD511-V6 - with both a 1.2MB 5-1/4" drive and a 1.44MB 3.5" drive in one enclosure. I opened it up and found a nicely labelled block on the spindle motor board (ie: [x]360 [ ]300) and un-soldered the resistor/shunt from the 360 pads and moved it to the 300 pads, but it still doesn't work in my M4 - I had forgotten about the 40track vs 80track stepping... Doh!

Now, I do realize the drive would basically only be good for 'reading' disks, since the heads are thinner than the 40-track drive, but it would have been a neat addition to my M4. ;-) (I've thought about flashing a little 8-pin PIC to provide a hardware double-step - do you think it's worth the effort?) Oh, and the 3.5" drive in the combo works great.

I forgot to mention - it's one of the 1st Model 4's, a non-Gate-array model - it's a White CRT, and the arrow keys are not grouped -- up/down are on the left, and left/right are on the right side under 'break'. The RS-232 port faces down. ;-)

So at this point, I'm still looking around for a [cheap] 5-1/4" "PC" floppy drive that I can convert to my M4 - preferably a 360k drive so the head width is the same. ;-)

And I *might* even build myself an IDE interface - the one I found is by Andrew Quinn (http://www.qsl.net/zl1wjq/trside1.htm) - have any of you done that? ;-)

Jeff

You should look into the Vintage Forum's own XT-IDE project. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...91-XTIDE-tech-support-thread&highlight=XT-IDE
The board itself is readily available. You might want to send a PMto HARGLE (on this forum) and he can get you on track. I have the XT-IDE in my 1000SX and its a "no brainer" project if you can use a soldering iron.

Thanks for the tip, but this won't work in my TRS-80 Model 4 -- as the model 4 doesn't have ISA slots. ;-) Andrew's interface is desigined for the Model 4 system, and is actually quite simple.

Jeff

Look around on EPay and see if you can't find a 5.25 full height. I personally like the Tandon drives they seem to work quite well. Look for Part number TM-100-2a. Just my 2 Cents worth.

I found some drives! ;-)

I found some drives! ;-)

I ended up finding some 360K drives via a local "FreeCycle" group, and they work great!!!

They are model: Toshiba FDD 5401 A0K

I also cabled up a pair of 3.5" drives, and they are working great too. ;-)

So now my Model 4 has two half-height 5-1/4" drives in the lower bay, and two 3-1/2" drives in the upper bay. ;-)

M4_Copy_5.25_3.5.jpg

Jeff

Back