• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My original IBM 5150 (assembled in Germany, 1984)

Timo W.

Veteran Member
Here's my original IBM 5150. This one was assembled in Germany in 1984 and is completely untouched since then. No repairs, no parts replaced, and still working. And little to no signs of wear either. :)

5150_web.jpg

PC090696_web.jpg

PC130697_web.jpg

It has the original IBM floppy controller, printer interface, CGA card, and 256 KB memory expansion (for a total of 512 KB).

Last year, I populated the empty FPU socket with an i8087 and the still-free 5th ISA slot with an XT-IDE controller. The XT-IDE has a 32 MB DOM on it, booting into DOS 5.0.

Last edited:
Very nice :) Pretty much the same as mine, The original owner took very good care of it, I'm the second owner and hardly a mark on it, Mine has the IBM memory expansion cards taking it up to 640k, I now use a VGA card and LCD but keep the original CGA card / monitor safe, I have an XT-IDE card in it also, The original 63W PSU died on it last year and i replaced it with a spare 130W PSU, I've only recently looked at the original PSU and am awaiting on parts to repair it, Once repaired it'll go back in.

Ohhhhhh I think I can see some bending in the chassis.

:)

Lovely unit poor thing though I bet it is dying to be touched, if you leave it understimulated it might just die from loneliness.
Im not as lucky as you.

Well depends on how you look at it.
I have started a crusade to get into these old clunkers.
I happen to come across a bunch at a waste dump and even though they were needed some serious TLC which is happening as we/I speak, some of them have started up the first time.

Its exciting.
So I have joined the Vintage Computing
World to get more involved in this historical art.

Nice Unit.
Give it a HUG.

Richard

From Australia

Back