• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NABU Cloud CPM issues

shirsch

Veteran Member
Can anyone with a working system try using PIP.COM to copy a file with length >= 16k from the A: to C: drive? Command would be:
A:PIP C:=A:*.*
I get lockups 100% of the time on multi-extent files. The Cloud CPM author insists I'm having cable issues, but this isn't my first rodeo and I'm quite sure the one I built is correct. It uses two properly assigned twisted pairs and is only six feet long. None of the other applications I've run over the RS-422 link show any issues at all, nor does CP/M 3 booted from floppy.

I don't believe it's present, but I'll check. In the interim, I find that CP/M using an altenate "internet adapter" from https://www.nabunetwork.com/resources/nabu-network-internet-adapter-software/ works just fine. Why are there multiple development efforts?

Update: The newer and more colorful internet adapter from 'nabu.ca' no longer shows any channels available so I cannot run Cloud CP/M. Perhaps it's down for maintenance?

Ok, the service is back up. No luck with NSWEEP either. It chews away for a bit and dies with a communication timeout. Cannot make ISHKUR CP/M fail, so I believe there's no actual connectivity issue. This almost certainly is a software bug but the author just doesn't want to hear it <sigh>.

I'm starting to learn the NABU ecosystem and finding it very confusing. The are at least four disjoint efforts to develop "internet adapter" / servers and two CP/M projects. Some folks are receptive to bug reports, questions and input, but others not so much. Neither of the CP/M ports are working 100%, but based on the responses to my issue on nabu.ca (Cloud CP/M) I think I'm going to spend my efforts working with the Ishkur port. One of the folks on that project seems helpful.

I actually started my own but didn't get very far (my intention was to create a new open-source software ecosystem around the hardware, and I think I brought up the idea in passing on comp.os.cpm; I've got my own ROM but that's all and the floppy disk bootloader part doesn't work right, though the cable part does).

I think all the various efforts (except for the nabu.ca one) aren't really all that much competition since they've been working together.

The nabu.ca software isn't open source, even though in the case of CP/M itself it sort of has to be. Between that and the attitude I think I'll avoid it in favor of the nabunetwork.ca folks who seem much friendlier.

Yeah, a bunch of the rest of us have had...issues with the guy.

On my own Nabu I use the nabunetwork.com head end. Though it might make more sense to use nabud, because I'm a *x weenie and it's written by a longtime NetBSD dev. And the nabunetwork.com guy, the nabu.run guy, the nabud guy, the Ishkur guy, the guy doing the Nabu stuff in MAME, the guy helping me with Marduk, we've all tended to work together.

Can't speak for it either; the nabu.ca and nabunetwork.com ones are the only ones I've used.

I'm a complete n00b trying to punch way above my weight.

Now that that a couple of Ishkur CP/M bugs have been nailed I'm officially abandoning Cloud CP/M. Have yet to see any communications issues with the nabud server and Ishkur. The so-called 'NFS' filesystem option is very convenient as well. It places the CP/M files directly in the server filesystem - no images.

Yeah, it's been my opinion from day one that Cloud CP/M was a pile of poorly written junk (apart from, well, the CP/M bits).

Back