• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NABU ver29 ROM and IA (up to 2022.12.25.0) Errors

guidol

While using ROM ver29 and booting from 1. Cable the NABU Internet Adapter
(up to Version 2022.12.25.0) does show some Checksum- and Communication-errors :(
But after these he is getting to the Menu :)

NABU Internet Adapter (2022.12.25.0) Current configuration: - Created: Freitag, 16. Dezember 2022 05:49:14 - Saved: Freitag, 16. Dezember 2022 05:49:14 - COM Port: COM1 - Baud: 111.865 bps - Pak Folder: - Use Local Folder: False - Prompt for Channel: False - Start Minimized: False - Start Serial Server on Startup: False - Start TCP Server on Startup: True - TCP Server Port: 5816 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x00 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Downloading pak 000001 from the Nabu cloud... TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0x09, 0xCF and should be 0x3F, 0xA1 TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0x31, 0x12 and should be 0xC1, 0xFE TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0x35, 0xE8 and should be 0x66, 0x9B TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0xD6, 0xD9 and should be 0x62, 0xAC TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0xDC, 0x29 and should be 0xD0, 0x1E TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x20 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x26 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x19 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x13 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x11 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x0E TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x25 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x0B TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x01 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10

While using ROM ver29 and booting from 1. Cable the NABU Internet Adapter
(up to Version 2022.12.25.0) does show some Checksum- and Communication-errors :(
But after these he is getting to the Menu :)

NABU Internet Adapter (2022.12.25.0) Current configuration: - Created: Freitag, 16. Dezember 2022 05:49:14 - Saved: Freitag, 16. Dezember 2022 05:49:14 - COM Port: COM1 - Baud: 111.865 bps - Pak Folder: - Use Local Folder: False - Prompt for Channel: False - Start Minimized: False - Start Serial Server on Startup: False - Start TCP Server on Startup: True - TCP Server Port: 5816 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x00 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Downloading pak 000001 from the Nabu cloud... TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0x09, 0xCF and should be 0x3F, 0xA1 TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0x31, 0x12 and should be 0xC1, 0xFE TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0x35, 0xE8 and should be 0x66, 0x9B TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0xD6, 0xD9 and should be 0x62, 0xAC TCP: Fixing checksum! It is 0xDC, 0x29 and should be 0xD0, 0x1E TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x20 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x26 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x19 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x13 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x11 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x0E TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x25 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x0B TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10 TCP: Waiting for NABU... TCP: File transfer mode TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x01 TCP: NPC Requests segment 0x000001 TCP: Communication error. Before transmit, received 83 and was expecting 10
The checksum issues are always there since DJ has made edits to the menu and not fixed the checksums. Those messages are just IA telling you about the mismatched checksums and auto correcting them for you.

The communications are an issue with some versions of the firmware. I am not 100% sure on what is causing this, I do have a fix i was testing that seems to make those issues go away however it seems to break the additional features DJ added to allow homebrew to request assets. Things like Bad Apple which use that feature stop displaying any images after my fix which is why i haven't actually updated MAME with it at the moment.

The checksum issues are always there since DJ has made edits to the menu and not fixed the checksums. Those messages are just IA telling you about the mismatched checksums and auto correcting them for you.

The communications are an issue with some versions of the firmware. I am not 100% sure on what is causing this, I do have a fix i was testing that seems to make those issues go away however it seems to break the additional features DJ added to allow homebrew to request assets. Things like Bad Apple which use that feature stop displaying any images after my fix which is why i haven't actually updated MAME with it at the moment.
I assume it would make for a cleaner experience if DJ fixed the checksums in his edited version of the NABU menu?

As for DJ's adapter software allowing for homebrew to request assets to make homebrew work, in the spirit of homebrew development IMHO it would be great if he provided some written documentation on the things he's doing so some of that could be localized for people not wanting to always be connected or tied to his cloud server.

I assume it would make for a cleaner experience if DJ fixed the checksums in his edited version of the NABU menu?

As for DJ's adapter software allowing for homebrew to request assets to make homebrew work, in the spirit of homebrew development IMHO it would be great if he provided some written documentation on the things he's doing so some of that could be localized for people not wanting to always be connected or tied to his cloud server.
My approach requires the floppy system - it uses CP/M 3.1.

My approach requires the floppy system - it uses CP/M 3.1.
I will be really happy once the floppy controller card reproduction project is finished up. Using a GoTek drive would be pretty nice with the NABU PC. I'm also looking forward to being able to do things with CP/M on the machine.

I noticed with my own server that the communication between the Nabu and the PC is much less stable (CRC checksum errors, Nabu Re-Requesting files) when running the ROM 29 vs the original 4k rom that came on the machine - it does eventually load though. The fact that the only difference is the ROM is that there's something going in on there - I should have a look.

I assure you it is not possible to use anything other then standard cycles on non reva firmware. All current homebrew loads at addresses 0x140D, but firmware other then reva load at 0x240D. So trying to load homebrew will end up executing at the wrong place and who knows what will happen then. For homebrew to work on non reva firmware it would need to do what the main cycles do and use some position independent code to load the main program code at a known address.

I've attached a simple loader then could be used with homebrew to do that, but no current homebrew uses this at the moment.
This was discussed here: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/nabu-pc-emulation-under-mame.1241092/post-1292592

Seems like reva should be used for RetroNet (cycles and current homebrew) and others (ver14, ver17, and ver29) for CP/M.

Back