• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC Powermate I (286) Desktop

It all depends on the MOBO. My PowerMate 286 Plus has a DIP switch that allows one to disable the onboard FDD / HDD controller. That then makes it possible to plug in an I/O controller. Which is the case for my system.

Which system are you looking at?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/251441919471

It does not look like the MOBO is included on stason.org:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/N/NEC-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-286-POWERMATE-286.html#.UvKm6vldXeQ

Yes that is the unit. There several several variants of the powermate 1/apc IV boards in ultimate hardware 99.
http://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/m286_2.htm

Based on the single parallel and serial port and positoning of the NPU and switches i believe it is this board "POWERMATE 1 (APC-H200E, APC-H201E, APC-H202E, APC-H203E)"z

If so, this would mean there is no onboard IDE. The one i had whel i was alot younger also didn't have IDE. THe fact he says the hard drive controller card is missing leads me to believe that there is a MFM drive in it. i also recognize those brightly coloured cables.

modem 7,
a year since you fixed up a similar query so I'm sorry to bother you.
Trying to resurrect a NEC Power mate 1 with extended memory.
The expected problem with a flat battery and stopped clock giving the
error message 'stopped clock - run set up'. But I have no boot up disk
for the 5 1/4 drive. Can you suggest a source please.
johnD

Please add your location to your profile. Did you replace the battery on this machine? What model is it? Good luck! I sold mine a few months ago. :)

Hello,

I have a NEC Power Mate 368/25. Unfortunately it wont start anymore. It tells me invalide configuration Information - Please run Setup program.
I tried to insert a floppy with a set up but it wont even read the floppy.
(I dont have a 5,25" therefore i used a smaller one (might be the Problem?)
Then it tells me to strike F1 to retry boot.
When i do so it just beeps but it doesnt even try to boot off the sloppy.

Please HELP :)

I have a Powermate 1 286/10. Fortunately, I still have the setup program. I am unsure if any generic program would substitute for the NEC specific program, it's really just three files, SETUP.EXE, NECDOS.SYS and NECBIOS.SYS. The program has to boot to 16-bit DOS (I've only ever tried it with MS-DOS, though it may work under DR-DOS and FreeDOS. My version would be from 1988. You basically have to have DOS running and then run SETUP.EXE. It may work for 386es as well, as mine incorrectly identifies my board as a 386.

Bumping this old thread as I am searching for the proper NEC Powermate BIOS/setup files and the FTP links on page one are dead.

I have a Powermate 1 286/10. Fortunately, I still have the setup program. I am unsure if any generic program would substitute for the NEC specific program, it's really just three files, SETUP.EXE, NECDOS.SYS and NECBIOS.SYS. The program has to boot to 16-bit DOS (I've only ever tried it with MS-DOS, though it may work under DR-DOS and FreeDOS. My version would be from 1988. You basically have to have DOS running and then run SETUP.EXE. It may work for 386es as well, as mine incorrectly identifies my board as a 386.
do you still have those files?

Back