• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest Need a floppy cable for an 8" drive (50-pin)

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

nullvalue

Veteran Member
Need a cable for an 8" floppy drive. Edge connector at one end and dual row pin header at the other end. 1 or 2 positions will work, length doesn't matter too much - ideally 2-3' since its for self-contained enclosure. Let me know if you have a spare you'd part with. Thanks!

I thought about making my own.. I've made my own IDC ribbon cables before (using a vice) - but do you know where I'd source the edge connector part?

Are they male/female pin header or edge connector? I have several 8" drives but havent worked on them yet. All inside thier perspective machines.

Just curious. I was going to get into 8" floppy production. How do you intend to power the unit (which are all AC power I believe) by the computer chassis or are you adding your own power?

so one side is edge one side needs to be 50 pin female.. ok plenty of choices,, this for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/270844905708

Perfect.. and if I want to make it a 2-position cable, 8" drive don't require a twist right? and drive position on the cable doesn't matter since it's driven by Drive Select (DS 1-4) at the drive level, correct?

Last edited:
With the 8" drive I honestly cant confirm that. Youd need to get that from someone more in the know. I thought drive select was done on the drive mechanism.

Just curious. I was going to get into 8" floppy production. How do you intend to power the unit (which are all AC power I believe) by the computer chassis or are you adding your own power?

Oh, if so - can I be your first customer? I still have no idea how I'm going to bootstrap this machine (or whether it's even possible) to format and create a CP/M disk. The chassis I'm using has 2 power supplies for 8" drives built into it. It's a cool chassis, unfortunately it's missing the cover so I may look for a new home for it if I can find another S100 chassis with room for at least 1 8" drive inside.

Here's the power supply. Note the 2 upright PCB's. Those take the DC output from the caps and coverts it to 24V & 5V on the 6-pin power connectors. It also takes a 120VAC lead. So my drive requires both DC & AC.
PXL_20220724_143203005.jpg

My method doesnt seem to difficult. Watching Petes video here:
I bought the Dbit 34 pin to 50 pin adapter. And I intend to connect the 34pin ribbon to a Dos machine and run Dave dunfields imagedisk to control and operate the 8" drive and create, copy, and make disk images to actual disks.
I have a TRS-80 model II, IBM 5120, and MAI basic four mini computer. All have 8" floppy drives. This is one of my many back burner projects... I have so many.

My method doesnt seem to difficult. Watching Petes video here:
I bought the Dbit 34 pin to 50 pin adapter. And I intend to connect the 34pin ribbon to a Dos machine and run Dave dunfields imagedisk to control and operate the 8" drive and create, copy, and make disk images to actual disks.
I have a TRS-80 model II, IBM 5120, and MAI basic four mini computer. All have 8" floppy drives. This is one of my many back burner projects... I have so many.

Very cool, let me know how this works out! I already have a DOS machine I use for imaging (5.25" 360k drive, 5.25" 1.2 MB drive + 3.5" 1.44MB drive) - would be very cool to add an 8" to that setup.

Back