• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help determining best portable+CGA+808x for modern air travel

$450, not 45K... still a crazy price for a IIe, easily four times the upper limit I'd even consider with the crappy little IIc monitor.

Well, it was $45,000. Maybe that was an honest typo and they did intend $450 from the beginning and they realized that mistake and revised it at 22:41:38 PDT last night. Still high, but not crazy enough to stand out on eBay at that point.

I would like to attempt my palm at some fireworks, what is the way to get these pictures without a remote control shutter release? Can One take advantage of the self clock? I won't be able to take multiple bursts right, by using the self timer? If I can use the self timer, should I use the 2 sec or 10 sec? I feel the two sec seems a lot more logical... but want to listen to your opinions. Many thanks for your help in move forward!

best maternity jeans

Use a small PSU - either the NanoPSU mentioned above, or just a compact +5V/+12V/-12V power supply (SB might need -5V... use LM7905?!) Attach a small cheap composite TFT display (7" or 9" one normally marketed for cars).

The NanoPSU, if I'm reading correctly, only provides ATX 20- or 24- pin -- is there an adapter to something a 5160 motherboard could use? (I still need to solve the how-do-I-transport-a-motherboard-without-breaking-it problem, but it does cut down on the size and weight drastically.)

As for a monitor, I've improvised in the past by using my laptop and cheap usb video-capture dongle with my laptop screen.

But they're small, and you can put whatever cards you want/need in them.

Those are indeed very nice, but I don't see how I'd be able to get composite CGA out of them (unless, like the Portable III, their internal card can be switched to MDA, allowing me to add a typical CGA card).

Well, close to the Sinclair PC-200, you can also take a look at the Schneider Euro PC. It's a pretty good machine that fits perfectly your description. A bit easier to find than the Sinclair; but also hard tho.

Looking at the back of the unit from the pictures, it doesn't appear to have composite CGA output which I need to connect it to a projector. It also doesn't appear that I can add a sound card to such a system, which is also a requirement. (Still, neat form factor and I'll likely look for one.)

Those are indeed very nice, but I don't see how I'd be able to get composite CGA out of them (unless, like the Portable III, their internal card can be switched to MDA, allowing me to add a typical CGA card).

Doesn't VGA default to emulating MDA if it co-exists with CGA? So if you could find a "lunchbox" luggable with internal VGA, you'd be all set.

Looking at the back of the unit from the pictures, it doesn't appear to have composite CGA output which I need to connect it to a projector. It also doesn't appear that I can add a sound card to such a system, which is also a requirement. (Still, neat form factor and I'll likely look for one.)

The Euro PC does have one ISA slot (appears to be half-length). And I wonder if the Commodore 65 was inspired by its styling!

Last edited:
Are you trying not to have it as VGA on purpose? I thought most projectors had VGA ports on them these days also.

Yes, not VGA on purpose. The demonstration will be using CGA and future demonstrations may use CGA in very interesting ways that can only be shown through the composite port.

The NanoPSU, if I'm reading correctly, only provides ATX 20- or 24- pin -- is there an adapter to something a 5160 motherboard could use? (I still need to solve the how-do-I-transport-a-motherboard-without-breaking-it problem, but it does cut down on the size and weight drastically.)

Sergey's back-plane accepts ATX power. That + a PicoPSU or NanoPSU + CPU, video, sound, and storage card. All could collapse into a small box with some ESD foam and padding.

That is perfect! I will start looking for one (although it is not strictly needed for my upcoming June demo).

Update: Looks like the Amstrad model doesn't have composite output. It also appears at the Sinclair model was on the market for a grand total of 3 months which would make it exceedingly rare to find, especially for someone in the USA. Oh well.

It's possible to disable the onboard video and put a real CGA card in one of the ISA slots. That would work on the Sinclair or Amstrad models.

The PC200's builtin CGA output isn't composite, by the way -- it's RF. The built-in CGA chipset also has a thing where attempts to write to the CGA registers trigger a NMI so the BIOS can adjust the values written depending whether it's outputting to a monitor or the RF socket.

'
The original early ones were CGA... using a CGA card... only difference between it and a normal CGA card was a breakout next to the external connector to run to the LCD decoder. They had both the 9 pin and composite out connectors as they were just ... CGA.

I've not seen one in a long time though. They are out there and do crop up from time to time.

the Sinclair model was on the market for a grand total of 3 months which would make it exceedingly rare to find, especially for someone in the USA. Oh well.

There happens to be a Sinclair PC200 on eBay right now... the sticker on the bottom says it has a PAL RF output, so I wonder if they found some way to convert CGA to PAL color, or if it's just NTSC jury-rigged to be modulated on a European TV channel allocation...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400686245895

Back