• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

need help identifying 486 board

oblivion

Veteran Member
Can't find any information it but it looks to be a 486 board. Has 4335cl-p103 as well as fu yu 20 v0 printed on the back. don't know if those are eisa or some proprietary local bus. only jumper on the board is to select 486sx or 486dx. cant get it to post, I just get 3 long beeps. I suspect its a ram issue.

sticker on expansion slot says "433scl/64k 01177330"

Last edited:
Looks like EISA to me.

Does it have RAM chips on board? I can see what appears to be cache and chips that could be RAM but can't tell without the magic numbers on top.
What BIOS does it use?

uploaded a higher res image. no ram on board, at least there doesnt seem to be. those are pretty much definatly l2 cache chips. bios is AMI 486 bios dated 1986-1990 zz359838. chipset is a SiS 85c401/402 and I was told over at VOGONS that points to the slots NOT being EISA but without identifying the board its hard to tell. i'll get some more images in a minute.

It can't be EISA since that SiS chipset doesn't support EISA, and there is also no RAMified DALLAS clock chip to store the EISA CFG settings. It would be interesting to know for sure if it was OPTi local bus or not. I would probably guess something even more proprietary.

*edit*

I looked through TH99 and couldnt' find your board. But I did find other SiS boards that claimed to have OPTi local bus slots. TH99 does contain mistakes, but it is a possibility.

Last edited:
If all else fails, you could dump the BIOS ROM and look for the AMIBIOS ID string. Not practical unless you have a ROM burner, though.

Another thing: Some older boards have ID information on stickers attached to one of the ISA slots.

If all else fails, you could dump the BIOS ROM and look for the AMIBIOS ID string. Not practical unless you have a ROM burner, though.

Another thing: Some older boards have ID information on stickers attached to one of the ISA slots.

on one of the local buses there is a sticker. sticker on expansion slot says "433scl/64k 01177330"

There was a card that came in the same box as this board. I assumed it was EISA but it may go with this board.

it has the same style sticker on the back of the card as the one on the motherboard though that may just be for store inventory or something. though they both have 5062 on the sticker

I tried removing the l2 cache. I also tested the CL isa video card I was using to make sure it was good, it is.

I filled bank 0 with 4 512kb 30 pin RAM chips. I no longer get the 3 beeps error but still no post, just a black screen. maybe the RAM isnt large enough and I need to dig up 4x1mb simms? or the board may be dead. I swapped CPU's with another 25mhz 486sx I had just to be sure and same effect.

*on top of VGA card "03310201-5303 made in taiwan"

Last edited:
There is some writing at the top of the VGA card. What does it say?

Also, are you sure all the SIMMs are in bank 0? All four SIMMs should be in the SIMM slots closest to the ISA sockets.

FWIW, I've never seen 512KB SIMMs in a PC. I'll bet you'll have better luck with four 256K or four 1MB SIMMs. At least that's standard. 9-bit, not 8-bit as well. BTW, I think 512KB is MAC memory.

FWIW, I've never seen 512KB SIMMs in a PC. I'll bet you'll have better luck with four 256K or four 1MB SIMMs. At least that's standard. 9-bit, not 8-bit as well. BTW, I think 512KB is MAC memory.

I think you are correct. My RAM stash seems to be severely lacking 30 pin simms. I'll need to track down 4×1mb sticks. I think it's really odd there's such a lack of jumpers. I'm assuming cpu speed on this board is controlled by swapping out the crystal oscillator like on a lot of 386 boards? Also any idea what the "cpu upgrade" socket is for. My first guess is a math copro but being a board that seems to support dx chips I don't know... I'll get those numbers on the tseng card when I get home. I did look up the FCC ID but it didn't provide any relevant information I could find.

I have one PC with 2x512KB SIMMs. But it's certainly not normal.

Here is an OPTi Local Bus video card:

a3msjk.jpg

Hi-res version: http://www.amstereo.org/images/optilocalbuscard.jpg

Back