• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Help with A Gateway 2000 P5-90 Not Recognizing Disc Drive

Guybrush3pwood

Experienced Member
I recently bought a Gateway 2000 P5-90 preinstalled with MSDOS 6.22. After struggling with figuring out how to use DOS 6.22, I decided to give up and install windows 95 instead. After installing Windows 95 from CD, I noticed that my CD drive didn't show up under "Computer." Going back to the BIOS, I noticed it didn't show up there either. I've tried four different drives spanning a decade and not a single one of them will show up.

Anyway, any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this problem? Let me know if any further info is needed. I can post pictures or provide whatever you need.

A P5-90, basically the same setup as my P5-60 and P5-100. The drive itself won't show up in the BIOS setup screen, IIRC. It will only show as "Auto Configured", or something along those lines. The attached drives will show up on the info screen that comes up when you first turn on the computer. Does it show that it has identified a CD drive, along with a hard drive? Also check jumpers on the CD drive, and try using a different ribbon cable. The ribbon cable in my P5-100 went out last year - so don't rule that out!

No, the cd drive does not show up under windows 95, only the HDD does. I've three three different ribbon cables and all manner of jumper configs, some of which cause BIOS to not post at all. What should both jumpers be set to on the HDD and cd drive? They're each on separate channels and not sharing the same ribbon cable. I thought that meant both had to be set as masters, but this causes BIOS not to post.

Really hoping I can get this solved! Thanks for your help thus far!

Back