• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Microcomputer Memories Inc (MMI) 106/112/206/212 ROM image

famicomaster2

Experienced Member
Hello all, I come today a bit disappointed because I broke something.

I have a prototype MMI MM 212 hard disk drive with a bad EPROM. Sadly, the upper 4 bits is all trashed and the drive does not operate. On power, the access light turns on solid and nothing else happens.
In my own research, I was not able to find a copy of the binary, and I was not able to find another example of the drive to donate a copy of it's binary.

Recently, I was able to acquire a boxed Macintosh HyperDrive kit, which includes an MMI MM 112 disk drive, which I figured was similar enough to warrant making a copy of it's EPROM.

Sadly, in my attempt to remove the chip, it appears I have damaged it. The drive now behaves exactly the same as the MMI MM 212 with the cooked EPROM. On power, the access light becomes solid and nothing else happens. The drive was 100% working before attempting to remove the EPROM to image it.

As such, my "donor" now no longer works, and I have no way to revive either one of them.

If anyone out there has one of these drives, of model:
MM 106
MM 112
MM 206
MM 212
and would be willing to image the EPROM, even in exchange for money, or who would be willing to sell me a working drive (or control board) to revive either of my units, I would be very grateful.

Linked below is the image of the MM 212's cooked 2732A EPROM, just in case someone more intelligent than I can recover some data from it. The microcontroller used on both drives is a Z8 ROMLESS.
Microcomputer Memories Inc (MMI) MM 212 faulty 2732A EPROM image

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thank you for reading my post either way.

Hello,

Where could I find such drives? If I had a system containing this hdd I could check it to help you.

Regards,
Jaume

Where could I find such drives? If I had a system containing this hdd I could check it to help you.
The most common place to find these drives in my experience is in Macintosh 512Ks which had the GCC HyperDrive upgrade installed. They were sold with the 10MB HyperDrive kit, which accounts for the majority of HyperDrives out there, to my understanding. MMI also sold drives to other companies, though, and it's very possible that other machines include them. I believe MMI started selling these drives in 1984 through about 1986. The 106 and 112 are 3.5" drives and the 206 and 212 are 3.5" drives fitted to a 5.25" bracket from the factory.

Attached here is an image of my production MM-112 and prototype MM-212, top and bottom. Hopefully this helps.
IMG_20231215_234846000.jpg

IMG_20231215_234914264.jpg

I hava a Mac 512k.
However it has the default disk drive with a Hitachi microprocessor/microcontroller. Actually the only remarcable thing about this computer (other than being one of the very few apples in our collection) is that it was used during the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games.

I cannot help you today... however I will check the drives every time a system has its maintenance so maybe in the future. Thankfully, with the images you have provided this is at least possible.

Sorry

EDIT:

I have some (Sarah 😜) Conner and maybe some Seagate 3 1/2" drives similar to the first pictured. I could check if they are rebranded. Sometimes it just happens... so let's cross fingers.

Last edited:
They were not rebranded, I am not aware of being purchased after their bankruptcy either. It looks like these drives started development right after Rodime filed their 1983 patent for the 3.5" drive and they went bankrupt by 1985 after General Computer Corporation switched to Miniscribe 8425s.

The MMI drives would never be in a stock Macintosh 512k, only HyperDrive systems, and only HyperDrive 10 at that. A stock Macintosh 512k has NO internal hard disk drive, with only the Rodime built Apple HD20, Tecmar MacDrive, and at least one other third party external drive being offered as options for fixed storage on the Macintosh until HyperDrive came along. Only 512k Macs can be configured with a HyperDrive 10. Macintosh 128ks with a 512k RAM upgrade could work as well, but the stock 128k, the Plus, and the 512ke (with new ROMs and SCSI) could not accept this upgrade.

They were not rebranded, I am not aware of being purchased after their bankruptcy either. It looks like these drives started development right after Rodime filed their 1983 patent for the 3.5" drive and they went bankrupt by 1985 after General Computer Corporation switched to Miniscribe 8425s.

The MMI drives would never be in a stock Macintosh 512k, only HyperDrive systems, and only HyperDrive 10 at that. A stock Macintosh 512k has NO internal hard disk drive, with only the Rodime built Apple HD20, Tecmar MacDrive, and at least one other third party external drive being offered as options for fixed storage on the Macintosh until HyperDrive came along. Only 512k Macs can be configured with a HyperDrive 10. Macintosh 128ks with a 512k RAM upgrade could work as well, but the stock 128k, the Plus, and the 512ke (with new ROMs and SCSI) could not accept this upgrade.
Sorry, I am not that into Apple to know Macintosh variants. Mine has a 3 1/2" HDD and I thought that maybe it could be...
Mine has the disk interface integrated into the main board, therefore I see now it is not the model you are seeking.

No worries. Yes, that sounds like a 512ke / Plus to me. It may even be an SE / SE FDHD / SE/30. The SE series had the option of an internal SCSI hard drive from the factory, initially a Rodime RO652 and later the Miniscribe 8425S and even the Quantum ProDrive 40S and 80S.

No worries. Yes, that sounds like a 512ke / Plus to me. It may even be an SE / SE FDHD / SE/30. The SE series had the option of an internal SCSI hard drive from the factory, initially a Rodime RO652 and later the Miniscribe 8425S and even the Quantum ProDrive 40S and 80S.
It's a Quantum...

Knowing that wou are seeking this I will keep an eye open just for in case. One never knows when or where can find something.

I wish you luck in finding this drive both in a quickly and safely manner.
Regards,
Jaume

It's a Quantum...

Knowing that wou are seeking this I will keep an eye open just for in case. One never knows when or where can find something.

I wish you luck in finding this drive both in a quickly and safely manner.
Regards,
Jaume
I figured, the Quantum ProDrive 40S and 80S are much more common units, since they shipped with later model SEs and some of the Classics, I believe.

Thanks much, I have hopes for my search as well.

Back