• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Tandy 1000HX ROM for PCEM v12 windows

txt9900

Need Tandy 1000HX ROM for PCEM v12 windows. I followed the instructions below to install PCEM and emulate the Tandy 1000, but unable to find the 1000 HX rom for PCEM that works. Has anyone tried PCEM with a Tandy 1000 HX ROM?

Need Tandy 1000HX ROM for PCEM v12 windows. I followed the instructions below to install PCEM and emulate the Tandy 1000, but unable to find the 1000 HX rom for PCEM that works. Has anyone tried PCEM with a Tandy 1000 HX ROM?

Download the ROM package for 86Box on Github. It includes a Tandy 1000 HX ROM that should work with PCem. Here is the download link:

Download the ROM package for 86Box on Github. It includes a Tandy 1000 HX ROM that should work with PCem. Here is the download link:

Downloaded the tandy 1000 HX ROM and was able to use PCEM with it. It booted up as the Tandy 1000 HX with 2.11. However, I do not see the built-in blue menu that the HX had after booting up. The HX had MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM and had a menu that loaded after booting up.

See the following video for the built-in menu on the HX:

menu shows on bootup at 13:05 in the video..

Downloaded the tandy 1000 HX ROM and was able to use PCEM with it. It booted up as the Tandy 1000 HX with 2.11. However, I do not see the built-in blue menu that the HX had after booting up. The HX had MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM and had a menu that loaded after booting up.

See the following video for the built-in menu on the HX:

menu shows on bootup at 13:05 in the video..
I don't know if the built in MS-DOS and Deskmate in ROM is supported on PCem or 86Box as I have never used that feature. You stated you were using PCem v12. I would recommend going to v17 of PCem. According to this post the Tandy 1000 HX is fully supported in this version. You may also want to give 86Box a try as well.

I tested MS-DOS built into ROM on my Tandy 1000 SL/2 configuration in 86Box and it does work. You need to run the SETUPSL2 to make sure that everything is configured first. I assume you would need to do the same thing for the Tandy 1000 HX setup as well.

I tested MS-DOS built into ROM on my Tandy 1000 SL/2 configuration in 86Box and it does work. You need to run the SETUPSL2 to make sure that everything is configured first. I assume you would need to do the same thing for the Tandy 1000 HX setup as well.
Thanks.. I'll need to find the SETUP file, as it does not seem to be listed in the directory.

Here is the link to download the Tandy 1000 HX setup file:

So I was able to get the file working and enter the setup. Then set the "Initial Start-Up Program" to "Menu". then F1 to update EEPROM. When the ctrl-alr-del, is performed, it defaults back to DOS 2.11. A:>. I believe the PCEM 1000 HX ROM file has MS-DOS in it. So the ROM file would probably need to be updated to indicate that the HX boots to the menu instead of the A: drive..

I tried this in PCEM v12. Will need to try v17 later.

So I was able to get the file working and enter the setup. Then set the "Initial Start-Up Program" to "Menu". then F1 to update EEPROM. When the ctrl-alr-del, is performed, it defaults back to DOS 2.11. A:>. I believe the PCEM 1000 HX ROM file has MS-DOS in it. So the ROM file would probably need to be updated to indicate that the HX boots to the menu instead of the A: drive..

I tried this in PCEM v12. Will need to try v17 later.
Update: I somehow got it to work on PCEMv12, where the blue menu shows on bootupnow. Then I press ESC to exit. One thing I notice is when I type DIR, I only see the files for the SETUPHX. don't see the DOS directory. I then have to point to the MS-DOS 2.11 2.11 HX Image and then I can type DIR and see the list of files for DOS. Maybe this is how the original HX operated.

Last edited:
Back