• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Needed for treasure hunt near Minneapolis for clipped PDP flip chip boards

rorypoole

Veteran Member
I am slowly building a PDP8 straight 8 and have found an old post about a large stack of DEC flip chips with the gold edge connector clipped off! I think I can fit a new gold edge connector to the old flip chip, and if not then at least I could move the components to new flip chip pcb's, but live in the uk so can not go to toms tool and Tinker to have a look, I would live it if someone that lived near Minneapolis could have a look to see if the boards could be used to build the pdp8 and FPP-12A, a floating point unit.
Tom’s Tool and Tinker is in Ham Lake MN (near Minneapolis)
www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/sh...me-vintage-treasures-in-MN&highlight=pdp+gold
the post was from 2008 but it looks like it is still there, the part I found most interesting is

Folks,
What did I find? Well both treasures and heartbreak… Someone has the idea that clipping off the gold-plated connectors of printed-circuit boards is worth doing. I found a large stack of DEC ‘Flip-chip’ boards, all clipped, and useless. (insert wailing and gnashing of teeth here).
I saw (but passed on) DEC disk packs (cake boxes),
Also worthy of a visit in Saint Paul is Axman Surplus on University.
-Crawford

Need info to build a FPP-12A Floating Point Unit for my pdp8 straight 8
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...2A-Floating-Point-Unit-for-my-pdp8-straight-8

Building a PDP-8 straight 8!
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?37391-Building-a-PDP-8-straight-8!

Last edited:
Rory,

I'm the OP (original poster) of that thread. Sorry to disappoint, but those 'flip-chip' boards I found were from the Unibus generation of PDP-11's, and no use to you in your PDP-8 quest. DEC continued to call Printed Circuit boards 'flip chips' even after the made the transition from transistors to Integrated Circuits...

-Crawford

Back