• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NEEDED: Repair of a early 90s vintage laptop power supply.

alex_theman45

I have a NEC Prospeed 386sx at 16mhz with a non working AC Adapter. I am looking for someone that is capable of replacing or repairing this component. I have no set price, so feel free to PM me a quote.

Last edited:
I can't find any exact replacements of the unit. As for getting a non exact replacement, I have done some shallow investigation on that topic. Haven't found any yet.

I just did a quick google and it seems to have it's own built in PSU.

I assume you are confusing it with the Prospeed 386? The Prospeed 386SX is a separate model that may have been based off of an earlier Prospeed 286, and shares several components, such as a AC adapter that connects via a line of contacts as opposed to a plug. While it does have a plug on the side of the adapter, I think it can only be used to charge the battery.

I read that info on google books There is a bit more info Here (See the Laptop.zip), Is this the same one you posted about before here, Do you know any good TV / Monitor techs near you, Shouldn't be a problem for a good tech to check the psu / adapter.

Thanks, the zip file had some info that confirmed you can power the system through the DC in jack. I tried the troubleshooting procedure, but it did nothing. I might try going to someone like that, just to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong. And yes, it is the same one as posted there. The 386sx is a different model than the 386 for sure.

Back