• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Networking/Hardware Question

mydnight

I'm looking at aquiring something like an IBM Convertable or Portable to use as a SSH terminal, just because I love the old phosphor displays (I grew up using a Tandy 1000 with a monochrome green crt, connected by an RCA jack), and I was wondering if a) anyone knows of any machines that would connect to a 10baseT network, or if none of those are in existance (I don't know how old that standard is), what type of machine would be my best bet for hacking with a relatively modern motherboard? If I have to go the hardware hacking route, do es anyone have any idea where I could find information on the pinout for the screen, and building an interface between the two systems?

If you are looking to connect an old PC clone to a network, read some of the DOS networking threads we've had in the PC area of the forum. You can get a network card for your machine or a parallel-port to Ethernet adapter if your machine is lacking ISA slots. With that and some software you can telnet around.

SSH on hardware that old is pretty much out of the question. SSH encryption is very CPU intensive.

If you want an old green/amber monochrome display you should research video card options. CGA cards had composite output, but I have no idea if anything modern can do that, even if you are in a CGA video mode.

yeah like mbbrutman said, SSH on such an old system isn't the best of ideas. even on my 386 DX/40 it's slow. i'd install a telnet daemon to connect the system to instead if i were you. and yes, you can connect to 10-base T ... once again, as mbbrutman said via an ISA card or parallel adapter.

i use a 3Com Etherlink II-TP on my XT clone, and i've also tried an Intel EtherExpress 8/16. both work just great! i've been doing all kinds of fun internet stuff on the XT with it... web server, IRC, web browser(not fun on an 8088! omg) - i'd love to do AIM on it, too... but the only DOS client i know of that is compatible with TOC2 is bsflite, which is 386+ only... might have to code my own :)

so yes, you'll have no problem using it as a terminal. and if all else fails, you can always go the null modem route. refer to this page for more info on that: http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/

my two cents

my two cents

I agree with the prior two posts, but am a little unsure of your needs.
I think you mentioned talking to another local machine?
So do you really need a network connection? A serial
solution, ie Kermit etc, might work fine.

I started my computer career on a network of IBM AT machines
using mono monitors and some sort of 3com cards. So I know
these or anything later would work. I'm pretty sure you can
still get mono video controllers for more modern CPUs if you want.
Given my prior experience, I do like those old screens, but
caution you that the mono has much better text display than
the CGA, it all depends on how much if any graphics you do.
I just junked my CGA stuff....

Back