• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Acquisition SMS 1000 Model 30

cbscpe

Experienced Member
Hi,

here some pictures of my new system that I just received today. A SMS 1000 Model 30 with 1Mbyte of RAM a 5 1/4" Floppy and a 80Mbyte Maxtor 1083 Hardisk and a Cartridge Tape. It has a KDJ11-AB and 4 serial lines and includes the original SMS 0107 Formatter. It came along with the original OEM Manual dated 1986. Any additional information is wellcome. It came also with some software, however I doubt the floppy's can still be read, let's see.

IMG_3890.jpgIMG_3889.jpgIMG_3888.jpgIMG_3887.jpgIMG_3886.jpgIMG_3885.jpgIMG_3884.jpg

This system has not been powered on for 20 years, so first I will firmly examine the power supply. Also one of the front toggle switch apparently is broken.

Peter

Nice find Peter....

I do have rather good experience reading old floppies, most 30-40 year old floppies still read OK.
Should you whish I can dump the Maxtor HD content with my MFM-reader, so you have a backup in case of accidents.

Jos

It's vital to get the sysem dumped, since SMS built their own controllers many of which were not command
compatible with the ones from DEC.

RT BASIC-PLUS and Oregon PASCAL are a good find.

I have the MFM reader from David Gesswein and will give it a try with this one first and check if the result can be converted to a disk image. The SMS 0107 disk controller seems rather flexible and allows to enter any disk geometry (heads, cyls, etc) and is fully compatible with the DU driver (i.e. it emulates a MSCP controller) so I thought to attach my spare ST251-1 for initial tests. As for the Oregon PASCAL I even got the manual sealed in plastic. Most likely nobody ever used it.

I think this will be a nice winter project for cold and dark evenings.

It's alive

It's alive

Good news, the system is alive. Except for the Camintonn DLV11J. The DLV11J is not working and is continuously printing garbage on the console. So something is wrong. Fortunately I have some spare Plessey DLV11J and now the system starts. I have disabled auto-boot to 173000 ROM so I had to enter it manually. But then the Diskcontroller Menu shows and I can successfully boot into the installed system. Seems TSX is installed, but I have never used it, so before I start it I will make a backup of the harddrive and then read some TSX manuals.

And of course I need to fix that Camintonn DLV11J. Is there any schematic available? It is marked as CMLV11-J.

Also what would be the easiest to make a full backup of the Harddrive? I have a RLV12 and a UC07 with a SD2SCSI. I just need to dump the images to some place.

Peter

Code:
@173000gˇ
Power-On/Restart
Firmware  V1.3  
Self Test Ok    
Winchestr spinup
W0 Online Ok    
W0 FlaTbl Ok    
W0 Access Ok    
Booting host....

Win/Flp Ctlr 1.3       BOOTSTRAP
512 KW MEMORY          11/73 CPU

BOOTABLE DEVICES:
DEVICE         DEVICE          UNIT
NAME           TYPE            NUMBERS

DU             DSA             0-15
MU             TK50            0
MS             TS              0
SENSE                          S

ENTER DEVICE NAME AND UNIT NUMBER:  DU0

RT-11SJ  V05.03  
?LD-W-Invalid device   1:

.SET EDIT KED

.SET TT SCOPE

.SET DU0: UNIT=0 PART=0

.SET DU1: UNIT=0 PART=1

.SET DU2: UNIT=1 PART=0

.MOUNT LD0: DU1:SUBLEX.DSK

.ASS LD0 LX

.ASS DU0 EDP

.ASS DU0 WK0

.IND DATIM

Bitte Datum eingeben (tt-mmm-jj)? 24-11-99
?KMON-F-Invalid date
Datum falsch eingegeben - 24-11-99

Bitte Datum eingeben (tt-mmm-jj)? 22-nov-99
Bitte Zeit eingeben (hh:mm:ss)? 13:31
Datum   22-Nov-99
Zeit    13:31:00

Wollen Sie das TSX aufstarten? (Return = TSX Start / N = RT11SJ) n

Das TSX wird nicht aufgestartet, es koennen keine 
        Applikations-Programme benuetzt werden ! 

RT-11 SINGLE JOB Monitor, volume ID RT11A       

Booted on 22-Nov-99 at 13:31:08 from file DU0:RT11SJ.
@ <EOF>

Also what would be the easiest to make a full backup of the Harddrive?

Use Dave's MFM emulator
It would be good to get him the flux-level image if his MFM reading tool doesn't recognize the sector format
so that it gets documented

Nice, compact little system!

You can probably also boot vtserver and dump the drive over a serial link, for a "just copy the bytes" image. Those are usually mountable in e.g. Ersatz-11 or SIMH. It will be slow! Set your console port to the highest reliable speed, I think we've used 38,400 with the KDJ11 before on RQDX3 and RL02 imaging.

IIRC you can basically use the built-in RT-11 utilities to dump the disk right over the serial port, no special boot required. I did that with my 11/23 when I got it - had to leave it running for hours on end!

Love the form-factor on this thing - any idea what it was being used for?

This system has been used in a mushroom (champignons) farm. That's all I could investigate. I was thinking about doing a RT-11 SYSGEN using SIMH with support for two MSCP controllers and then add the UC07 to the system boot from the UC07 and then use this system to make a full backup of all partitions. In this way I have a backup on a SD-Card I can backup further on my MAC. I was also thinking of getting a DREM as a MFM Disk replacement.

Good news. I was able to do a sysgen of a RT-11 system with two MSCP controllers and finally learned how this thing with units, ports and partition is really working. Next was to set the built-in MFM SMS-0107 Disk Controller as secondary MSCP controller (which is possible with the built-in setup menu) and added the UC07 to the SMS-30. With the new RT-11 supporting two MSCP controllers I was able to boot from the UC07 and access the disks attached to the SMS-0107 controller and was able to do a full backup of all partitions on the MFM harddisk using the "COPY/DEVICE" command.

Hi and greetings to Switzerland!

Due to the fact that you luckily got original software with yout SMS1000, I am wondering if you have a copy of this software. It might be also on your hard disk or together on an other diskette:

FW-Tools-Label#2.JPG

I recently acquired an SMS1000 model 40 and restored it, wich I documented here: https://forum.classic-computing.de/...0/&postID=336079&highlight=SMS1000#post336079

Now I am looking forward to reanimate an FWT117x device which has a Shugart interface and emulates DY devices. I have not started with it yet, and I don't know if the harddisk can be accessed without the enhanced DY driver, therefor I am asking.

I think that am going to publish an English version of my SMS1000 thread also here ;-) This also a nice community to share such things!

Greetings from Austria!

Peter

I also have an SMS1000 model 40 as documented in this manual:

Mine came with an M8192 KDJ11-A. In theory it should be able to run 2.11BSD. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of incompatibility with the built-in MSCP controller on the "Foundation Module". It works well enough to run RT-11, but crashes when I have tried to install 2.11BSD or RSTS/E 10.1

Hi gslick

I started a new thred here, where I am going to report what I made with my SMS 1000 to boot unix. I used 2.9BSD because I wanted it also to run on a PDP11/23 - KDF11 but of course I also built a 2.9BSD kernel for the PDP11/73 - KDJ11 .... so let's move the discussion to this thread ;-)

Just one sentence here about the SMS MSCP controller, it speaks MSCP but it does not emulate a DEC controller, this is what causes most of the problems.

Peter

The story how I made 2.9BSD Unix to run on an SMS 1000 Model 40 you find here:

Or if you understand German, also here:

Back