• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New fans for my Micro PDP11/23

peclark

The cooling fans on my Micro PDP11/23 were wearing out - the bearings in one were failing and the fan would no longer spin, and the other one was getting loud and rattling a bit so I wanted to replace them. After looking around a bit I found a 12v fan that has slightly lower CFM, but is much quieter.

I installed them today and they are so much quieter - here's what I used:

IMG_2687.jpeg

And as installed:

IMG_2686.jpeg

The fans come with power adapters for various types of plugs, I ran the wires to the front, and used the power connector that used to be used for the MFM hard disk (which has been replaced by a ZuluSCSI...

This looks great. I've been wanting to do something like this - I have two BA23s under my desk and the fans are pretty loud. Do you have the airflow specs of the old fans and these?

This looks great. I've been wanting to do something like this - I have two BA23s under my desk and the fans are pretty loud. Do you have the airflow specs of the old fans and these?
My old fans were Torin TA450 - which according to a catalog I found, seems these models are 106cfm.

1711911560622.png

They don't seem to spec fans like this anymore, the specs for the fan I got is here - https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-s12a-flx/specification

Seems the airflow of this model is listed like this: 1711911767375.png

From conversion charts I found online, I believe these new fans are around 63 cfm... If what I found is correct, the conversion is as follows:

One m³/h equals ~0.589 CFM and one CFM is ~1.699 m³/h

I've run the computer for about 2 hours straight since I put in the new fans, and so far so good. The exhaust flow seems really good and the computer doesn't seem to be getting hot... I'll keep a close eye on it for some time to be sure.

My old fans were Torin TA450 - which according to a catalog I found, seems these models are 106cfm.

View attachment 1276983

They don't seem to spec fans like this anymore, the specs for the fan I got is here - https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-s12a-flx/specification

Seems the airflow of this model is listed like this: View attachment 1276984

From conversion charts I found online, I believe these new fans are around 63 cfm... If what I found is correct, the conversion is as follows:

One m³/h equals ~0.589 CFM and one CFM is ~1.699 m³/h

I've run the computer for about 2 hours straight since I put in the new fans, and so far so good. The exhaust flow seems really good and the computer doesn't seem to be getting hot... I'll keep a close eye on it for some time to be sure.
Thanks!

fantastic find, thank you! uploaded a quick before and after, in this video you're only hearing the fans in the two power supplies making up forum user alegend's h7864-c, the noctua fans are essentially silent. inside the ba23 deskside enclosure with covers on i think this should be quiet enough to run where it belongs! i'm running a 4.3bsd kernel build to make sure the temps stay good, about halfway through and it seems happy so far even with a half loaded backplane! :>

Back