• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New in electronics

UncleBinary

Experienced Member
Im new in electronics and never built a computer before any simple and easy to use processors?I already know about the 6502 and the 64C02.

Im new in electronics and never built a computer before any simple and easy to use processors?I already know about the 6502 and the 64C02.

There are a number of choices. I am most familiar with old tech systems (from a hobbyist point of view). Any old 8 bit computer will need some sort of ROM to be useful, which means you need access to an EPROM or EEPROM/FLASH programmer. The exception here is an 1802 based system, which has a built in program loader in hardware. It's tedious to use, though.

I'm particularly fond of the SYM-1. This was a very nice 6502 based single board computer that had a fairly advanced monitor program. There was also BASIC in ROM. The ROM images are available on line. A SYM-1 clone would be one of the cheaper computers to wire up, but you would need a way to burn an EPROM with the monitor image. Also, the use of simple 22V10 PALs to replace random decode logic would reduce cost and simplify things.

There's probably PIC and AVR based boards that may fit the bill, but I have no idea how expensive they are. There's also the BASIC Stamp, which I have played with.

There used to be microcontrollers that had a language built in. I have an older 8052 controller with BASIC burned into the on-chip ROM. I also have a 68HC11 based board with FORTH in it's on-chip ROM. These were fun to play with, but I do not know if you can still get these, and they weren't very cheap.

If you can save your money, the Elf2K or Replica-1 kits are a good option.

I'm always looking for interesting simple computers myself, so I"m curious what others suggest.

-steve

thanks for that but I dont want a microcontroller.I'd rather build the computer than buy a kit but if it comes down to it I'll buy one.Is there any processors that are easily interfaced into EEPROM and SRAM?How do you interface IC's to a processor the RIGHT way?i.e. timings,voltages etc...

thanks for that but I dont want a microcontroller.I'd rather build the computer than buy a kit but if it comes down to it I'll buy one.Is there any processors that are easily interfaced into EEPROM and SRAM?How do you interface IC's to a processor the RIGHT way?i.e. timings,voltages etc...

You either need to become familiar with data sheets, or just copy a design someone else figured out. Luckily, old tech 8 bit micros are slow and forgiving. In addition to input thresholds, you need to pay attention to input loading and output drive. For timing, you have to learn about things like input to output propagation delay, input clock to output switch delay, and input setup and hold times. As long as you stick with older technology with slow edge rates (longer rise and fall times) you don't have to worry as much about signal reflections and cross talk.

I got interested in electronics when I was 9. I wire wrapped my first computer (a COSMAC Elf) when I was 14 from the popular electronics articles. I learned a LOT in the process. Making mistakes and fixing them is part of the learning process.

-steve

I wish I could make a computer with the graphics capability of the COSMAC-ELF.I also wanted to use a processor with easy expandiblilty and flexibility. Some thing for begginers

I think you should start with something simple like a microcontroller.

There are some Z80 kits on e-bay for $99. Those Spectrum ones I think.

I would use either the AVR or PIC. There are some good starting kits at parallax

http://www.parallax.com/

I see they have a really cool Hydra Propeller game thing...

I have the $89 kit, but this one looks like it might be a little bit better...

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45181

Now, I also really like AVRs. Kanda has some boards that I like

If you want to do something a little bit closer to what you're asking for, this mght be good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170065945011&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

The guy has been selling them for years. There isn't one on ebay right now, but he will have another soon...

You could add peripherals to it as you learn. It would also load basic with a flip of the power switch.

Back