• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New install of Win 3.11 WFW locks up on startup?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I am trying to install Win 3.11 WFW on a Compaq LTE Elite 40mhz. I have a fresh install of Dos 6.22 and from Dos I install Win 3.11 WFW. The install goes perfectly and after the installation (before resetting) Windows seems to work good. I restart, run windows, and as soon as everything loads it in is instantly locked up. Next I run "win /D:T" which disables printers and comm. Windows starts up and works great.

What are some steps to figure out why a vanilla install of WFW locks up like this? I have tried 3 installs each doing the same thing.

I have not set up anything in windows, no network stuff, no printer stuff, nothing.

An install of Win 3.11 (no WFW) works and also an install of Win95 (runs slow on 8mb of ram).

A quick check suggests you need a patch for that computer

sp0738.zip -- 20 K -- (11 March 94)
The CPQVKD.386 device driver provided in this SoftPaq fixes the keyboard
hang problem that appears when using Microsoft Windows for Workgroups
version 3.11 on the Compaq Aero and Compaq LTE Elite computers.

I installed the fix from krebizfan's post and it fixed my lockup! I have no idea why the /D:T for disabling print/comm was working if keyboard was the problem. I'd also like to know how he came across that.

I had this trouble on another Compaq LTE Elite a while back but just installed Win95 on it instead. Glad to have a resolution.

Well done. That's one thing that is great about this forum, the wealth of knowlege and the folk that a willing to share it.

Back