• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Kaypro 4 game "Dungeons of Skeleton King" from Olipix.

The game will only work on Kaypro computers with graphic features (post 84). While making my videos about the Kaypro systems (www.youtube.com/c/Olipix/), I noticed that some Kaypros had graphical possibilities, but almost none games were using them. So I decided to program my own game to showcase those features.

As far as I know, all of the Kaypros other than the very earliest, possibly only the roman-numeral II, used the same universal motherboard, just with more or less of it populated.

I don't know if my Kaypro Arabic-numeral 2 has graphics characters or not, but if it does not, I assume it's probably just a matter of changing out a character rom to add it? It most definitely uses the same universal board as the Arabic-numeral 4.

As far as I know, all of the Kaypros other than the very earliest, possibly only the roman-numeral II, used the same universal motherboard, just with more or less of it populated.

I don't know if my Kaypro Arabic-numeral 2 has graphics characters or not, but if it does not, I assume it's probably just a matter of changing out a character rom to add it? It most definitely uses the same universal board as the Arabic-numeral 4.

Yeah, as I understand it (please correct if I'm wrong) the model IV does not have the graphics capabilities as the model 4-84 etc. Always disliked the Kaypro model numbering system. I sold off my Kaypro hardware after I restored it (mostly). I did have a pesky floppy drive that would read disks when it felt like it. LOL Emulators are just fine with me.

Last edited:
Is that a new game or one that was written long ago?

New. If you click on that link above there is a full description. Apparently, it is inspired by an old mainframe game called "Chase". They also code games for other vintage systems as well. Itch homepage: https://olipix.itch.io/

Last edited:
I'm going through the code now.
I'm noticing a bunch of issues with the basic code.

there are a few duplicate line numbers.
looks like Monster X and Y have been transposed in a lot of places, Rather then MX and MY you have XM and YM where that array is not declared since it seems to be looking for MX and MY.

examples of transposed monster variable

1760 IF XM(E)=XH AND YM(E)=YH THEN GOTO 1780
5210 IX=0:IY=0:TM=P(XM(IM),YM(IM))

example of doubled line numbers
6355 IF LV=LX AND (P(XF,YF)=7 OR P(XF,YF)=8) THEN XH=XF:YH=YF:GOSUB 1700
6355 IF P(XF,YF)=9 THEN GOSUB 1500:GR$=GB$:GOTO 6380

i would recommend moving all Functions and array declarations to the start of the program many basic versions do not like to declare that space later and want it up front.

having a gosub to initialize is not good practice, best is get that all out of the way as housekeeping upfront in the first 100 lines.

i'm still working through it.

Back