• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New PCB based on AK6DN's RX02 emulator, now with an LCD menu

hideehoo

Experienced Member
Just in time for VCF Midwest, ThisPostContainsComputers and I finished up initial testing of a new PCB based on AK6DN's excellent RX02 emulator design, with the addition of a display and buttons so it can be run without the serial terminal. Still some work to do on the menu system and further testing, but was loading RT11 on the jacked up Heathkit H11 we'll be dragging to the show this weekend. Details and full design files at https://github.com/djtersteegc/rx02-emulator-mega-shield

RX02-1.jpg

I'll just say that this is really neat... but it would be even neater if someone offered up parts kits (or even built unit) for convenience and economy of scale.

I'll just say that this is really neat... but it would be even neater if someone offered up parts kits (or even built unit) for convenience and economy of scale.

For my original version, at first I offered just bare PCBs and a BOM from DigiKey and/or Mouser. PCBs were $10, parts totaled about $10 or so.
I think I sold about 25 bare PCBs total. Still have about 20 bare boards left, no one wants one anymore.

Later I offered a kit of all parts for $15 (I added $5 for my time sourcing and sorting parts into kits).
I think I sold about 15 full kits of parts (PCB, all parts, microSD adapter) in about 2 years time. There is one straggler kit left.

It takes about 2hrs of assembly and soldering to assemble the board (maybe 1hr if you really push it and are a competent tech).

As to economy of scale, there really is none. The market is not that big.

For preassembled versions now, I would redo the design in surface mount and let a professional small volume assembly house do the grunt work.
Probably all they could not do is the Arduino shield headers, probably still need thru hole and hand assembly.

In my selling of boards at $10 (cost $8), parts kits at $15 (cost $10), and Sparkfun microSD adapter at $5 (cost $4.50) plus my time I think I maybe broke even. Maybe.

A fully assembled professional version would probably need to go in the $50 to $75 range to make it worthwhile (ie at least break even and not a money loser).

But at this point I question the size of the remaining market. The availability of RX8E/RX28, RX211, RXV21 interface cards is probably the more critical factor.

Last edited:
If this board goes on top of Don's RX02 emulator, I'm in for a (preferably) complete kit.
Just the bare board with a BOM would work too, but the matching display would be nice if that can be included.
Going to GitHub to read up ...
Nice job!

First prototype of a case shell is done. Found out some Chinese Mega 2560 copies have the power jack ~3mm shifted inward from the official design. :( Otherwise pretty good fit on the first try. Pulling accurate 3D models of the everything out of Kicad and then designing around them in something like DesignSpark make this pretty straightforward once you spend the time to get over the initial learning curve.

PXL_20221001_045442567.jpg

Back