• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New UK Model III owner - what are my expansion options?

Richard G

Experienced Member
As per title really. I've acquired a non-disk version with 16K RAM here in the UK.

Cosmetically it's in excellent condition. Sold as non-working. I haven't powered it up yet as PSU needs work.

Initial route around shows the usual blown caps on the PSU (the PSU looks absolutely identical to my Osborne 1 out of interest...) and I've spotted that one of the adjustable pots behind the keyboard is broken.
Monitor tube has snapped from two of it's mounting posts (in recent transit no doubt).
Aside from those details, everything looks remarkably clean and dust free. Serial no. 5998. Came in it's original box (dated 1981: Birmingham) and I had to break a warranty sticker to release one of the underside screws.

I'd assumed that these machines could be upgraded to internal floppy but this looks unlikely. There are two 'blanking plates' where the floppies should be which state "Replace with Radio Shack Disk Drives".
These seem to be part of a one-piece moulding which includes the monitor bezel - they don't seem to be separate. The black plastic parts (bezel, blanking plates) are one piece. These are pegged and melted into the silver case parts.

OK, so I can upgrade the RAM to 48K easily enough. What to do about storage though? Any modern options that are available? I've had a look around but can't find anything that doesn't require a FDD controller and disk to start.
I've considered getting it up and running and selling it on as is. But I've got also got a bit of a soft spot for it and really would like to keep it.
I might settle for tape only but would like to know my options if any.

I didn't pay very much for it :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard,
The Model 3 used one of two types of Power Supplies. Astec & Tandy Power Supply. The Astec's, in my opinion are less trouble, and are 65 Watt supplies.
The Tandy Supplies seem to have lots of problems with the Pins on the supply working loose from the circuit board soldering. If your unit has a Tandy supply,
be sure to remove the power supply and look at the solder pads for all connector pins with a magifying glass.

Since you have 16K present the three jumpers should be correct to support the other two RAM Banks.

Jumpers for 16K are:
S to T for 16K (vs U to T for 4K)
R to P for 16K CAS* (vs N to P for 4K CAS*)
EE to FF for 16K (vs GG to FF for 4K)

When you Power up the Model 3, Hold the BREAK KEY Depressed, and after it boots, Depress <ENTER> a few times, then Type:
?MEM

It should show the current available memory size. (The BREAK KEY keeps it from trying to boot the OS from Floppy, and boots into Basic.)

Larry

Last edited:
Those plastic "Blanks" can be snapped off with caution. When I had my Model III that's what I had to do with the top drive.

As for the CRT support brackets you might be able to Epoxy them to give a little added strength but without seeing the damage it may be hard to tell.

If you want to add floppies you would need to get a hold of a Model III or IV disk controller. And 2 full height drives ideally. Or you could also use half height. Just as long as they are 180k or 360k. Preferably the latter the model III supports 360k easily. The half heights are more reliable IMO. My Model IV I changed over to 3.5 " drives.

Also the adjustment wheels behind the Keyboard are for Brightness or Contrast. Get a picture of that area. Curious if the Shaft or just the wheel is broken.

Maybe you send some pictures of the CRT Mounts as well?

Back