• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Vic-20 Clone

danwerner21

Finally, the VIC-2020 is working well and is far enough along where I can publish all of the project materials. The board works great and has passed all of my initial tests. I really like the Cherry MX keyboard and the custom printed keycaps.

All of the KiCad files, Gerber files and the Keycap art is located at:

https://bitbucket.org/danwerner21/vic2020

There are some project docs that describe the differences from the original VIC-20 and give some general information on how to build the system. ONE NOTE THOUGH -- the 3d printed case is still a work in progress (and will be for a few more days) do not print the STL files that are in the project as the boards will not quite fit in them yet. Will post again once the case is complete and ready to print.

Enjoy! and please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Dan Werner

(See attached images)

Attachments

• onea.jpg
    onea.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Case Render.JPG
    Case Render.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2
  • twoa.jpg
    twoa.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2
  • threeA.jpg
    threeA.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2
May I ask why you didn't go for the original case? I have two cases and keyboards laying around that could use a new board, very preferably an enhanced board like yours.

Keep up the good work!

May I ask why you didn't go for the original case? I have two cases and keyboards laying around that could use a new board, very preferably an enhanced board like yours.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I did think about going with a board that was compatible with the original case, but I do not have any spare cases and I really liked the idea of the cartridge slot being top loading, and there are constraints with the size of my 3d printer . . so things evolved from there.

That said, the KiCad files are on the bitbucket site and I encourage you to change the board to fit your application, it would be a pretty simple matter to change the mounting holes on the board, move the cartridge port, the IEC port, the power connector and replace the video and sound connectors with an DIN connector. I used JLCPCB to have the boards manufactured and I was able to get 5 boards created for around $17(us) (plus $20 shipping) My original intent for this project was to build a system that I could tinker with, expanding it in various ways, eventually even eliminating the 6560 with an FPGA or even TTL based replacement. If others wanted to do the same, that would be fine by me!

Thanks!
Dan Werner

Back