• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NFS v2 support in a modern UNIX (or UNIX like)

Oddsocks

I'm currently using a Linux (Fedora) VM to re-export a specific NFSv4 export as NFSv2 (for old UNIXes) and also using Samba to export it basically as SMB 1 for old DOS clients. I have to recompile the linux kernel to even enable NFS v2 and if not already, it will be entirely removed from the kernel. I guess it could set up a specific version and never touch it as security is not really a concern, but I was also wondering whether anyone knew whether say OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD etc is maintaining support for NFS 2? It's not entirely clear and I thought I might ask before experimenting, to save some time.

Hm. My RPI based OpenMediaVault supports NFS2, so this should not be an issue.

Re-exporting an NFS mount via NFS is forbidden (or at least it was), though I couldn't tell you if the BSD guys were exercised about following that part of the specification. The Linux guys clearly weren't.

Re-exporting an NFS mount via NFS is forbidden (or at least it was), though I couldn't tell you if the BSD guys were exercised about following that part of the specification. The Linux guys clearly weren't.
Yes you're right and I use convmvfs to work around that. I've no doubt there's good reasons but when I'm mounting NFS from AIX on a PS/2, it probably isn't in their typical use case, nothing mission critical about this, just convenience :)

Hm. My RPI based OpenMediaVault supports NFS2, so this should not be an issue.
As a huge Amiga fan also, I loved those touches in OpenMediaVault. I can see it does support NFS2. The current version doesn't seem to have a plugin for remotely mounting file systems and then re-exporting them as ultimately my main goal is to keep everything on my primary server but I don't want to bastardize it too much for retro systems. It looks possible to workaround though and has a great remote UI so I'll do some more experimenting

Back