• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Nixdorf BA 88 Monitor info or manual.

I confirm that for the BA 88 monitor, a 9-pin straight-through cable (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc.), male on both ends, is the requirement for connection to MDA/CGA/EGA cards.

I've managed to get one from the UK.

The original cable with the monitor was 9-pin to 15-pin with the dongly bits quite large. I presume there are some resistors and thingys in there.

I have one of those cables between my A410/1 and a Trinitron 19" SVGA screen. The cable was attached between my very first vga card and 14" vga screen. I'm using it to bridge the 9 pin output of the A410/1 mobo connected to the monitor cable on the 19'' screen effectively in reverse to how it was originally used iirc.

Last edited:
I've managed to get one from the UK.

The original cable with the monitor was 9-pin to 15-pin with the dongly bits quite large. I presume there are some resistors and thingys in there.

My cable has arrived. Also an MDA card. I'll connect up later and let you know how I get on. I've hurt my back bringing the monitor into the attic. I had the ladder at 45 degrees and when I got to the top I couldn't move up nor down. I eventually got the monitor into the attic.

My cable has arrived. Also an MDA card. I'll connect up later and let you know how I get on. I've hurt my back bringing the monitor into the attic. I had the ladder at 45 degrees and when I got to the top I couldn't move up nor down. I eventually got the monitor into the attic.
Per my earlier post:

IBM EGA card.: Known to work. To support EGA, early 5150s need to have their BIOS upgraded to the third version.

IBM CGA card: Known to work.

IBM MDA card (early version): Front panel text switch needs to be turned on. Works well.
IBM MDA card (later version): Front panel text switch needs to be turned on, but annoying background raster present (even with brightness knob full down).

Per my earlier post:

IBM EGA card.: Known to work. To support EGA, early 5150s need to have their BIOS upgraded to the third version.

IBM MDA card (early version): Front panel text switch needs to be turned on. Works well.
IBM MDA card (later version): Front panel text switch needs to be turned on, but annoying background raster present (even with brightness knob full down).

I have a CGA card. If the MDA doesn't work I'll try the CGA

Per my earlier post:

I've installed an MDA card (looks brand new, Made in China), set the DIP switches and switched on power. The 5150 boots to the post beep and goes into BASIC. The NIXDORF BA 88 works. I'll try the 5151 next.

I've installed an MDA card (looks brand new, Made in China), set the DIP switches and switched on power. The 5150 boots to the post beep and goes into BASIC. The NIXDORF BA 88 works. I'll try the 5151 next.

I inserted a DOS 1.1 floppy and the Pc boots to DOS.

Which Floppy is the A: drive? I'm booting from the left hand drive which is on the end of the cable and has the termination resistor. The DOS disk is in this drive.

Back