• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Non-Apple HD format help

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Among the Mac AIOs I received in a collection acquisition was a Mac SE/30 with a bad floppy and no hard drive.

The floppy I got from a 605 with a smashed up case that I've had for a while and for the hard drive, I have a Quantum 40S. Of course, the formatter on the 6.0.5 installer disk says it can't find an appropriate drive on the system.

I found a copy of lido756.hqx which, according to research, will format a non-Apple HD with no problem.

The problem is that my Mac OS days are WAY behind me. I'm trying to create the equivalent of a PC boot disk for the Mac with Lido on it so I can get the drive formatted, an OS on it and this SE/30 buttoned up.

I have TransMac, McDisk and ALZip 851, but, I can't seem to figure out how to achieve what I want to do.

Can some kind soul walk me through this?

Thanks,

Druid

PS. lots of these things are missing case screws. Anyone have the specs on the thread and length of these T-15 screws so that I can buy a box?

I'm not sure how one could make such a disk with the setup you have. The big problem with most mac archives is that they expect you to already have a functional Mac. Also the copy of the lido756.hqx I found was not in the right format, so would probably confuse some utilities.

I find it handy to have a working emulator set up with Stuffit, ResEdit, DiskCopy and other utilities, using HFV Explorer to import/export files.

Too many steps to walk through, so just give this disk image a try:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01197668696715532600

Fortunately that is a 1.44mb compatible drive, otherwise you would have another entire can of worms to deal with. Just write that image to a 1.44mb disk using any raw disk writer, even WinImage will write the image although it will not show contents.

Thank you for the image, I burned it right away (using DiskWrite) and TransMac would read it and Windows 10 wouldn't (a good sign).

Then when I went down to the triage workshop, I discovered that I left the disk sticking out of the drive, at home.

So, tomorrow, I will actually take it down to the shop and see how it goes.

Thank you very much for the image.

I will probably set up a system with emulators for all the stuff I'm going to be working on, with both size floppies and a controller that will write single density on-site so we can make diskettes as necessary.

Sorry, I should have got to this earlier but lots of things keep getting in the way.

OK, I tried Lido and the modified 7.5.3 programs and still no-go on the the Quantun 40s. Then I tried a Quantum 210s, both ProDrives and both set to ID 0, I believe and the same problem occurred with that.

Since they both work in a PC with an Adaptec, formatting correctly and passing a Media Analysis, as I see it, that leaves two likely situations;

The drives need to have all semblance of any formatting blown off them or the SCSI bus on the Mac SE/30 has a problem. I haven't read anything about not having any sort of format on the drive, so, I'm leaning towards something awry on the bus.

FWIW I've had very flaky results with the patched versions of HDSC setup and Drivesetup when it comes to non-apple drives. They initialised maybe one or two; but the majority failed.

I also tried LIDO and it didn't work either. I think that may have been a bad drive though....

Also it's worth noting that my SE/30 had a bad SCSI bus at one point. One of the data lines was flaky from the SCSI controller to the 50 pin IDC header (and the rear port). Might be worth probing out from the header to the controller chip (schematics are online) just to make sure everything has continuity.

FWIW I've had very flaky results with the patched versions of HDSC setup and Drivesetup when it comes to non-apple drives. They initialised maybe one or two; but the majority failed.

I also tried LIDO and it didn't work either. I think that may have been a bad drive though....

Also it's worth noting that my SE/30 had a bad SCSI bus at one point. One of the data lines was flaky from the SCSI controller to the 50 pin IDC header (and the rear port). Might be worth probing out from the header to the controller chip (schematics are online) just to make sure everything has continuity.

Thanks for the information. After trying the drives in another Mac, I'll have a better idea if it's the hardware or the software and proceed accordingly.

Back