• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Non standard modifications

Exluddite

Experienced Member
I got a wireless card for my main computer today. In setting it up, I accidentally yanked the keyboard, or maybe I tripped on the cord. Anyway, it started incessantly beeping. YOu see, I have an old keyboard that came from goodwill. It had the older, bigger keyboard connector, which my newer board obviously does not. So I spliced on a connector from a dead keyboard, giving me more room to move as an added bonus. The beeping went away once I had rewrapped the connections in electrical tape. As a side note, I thought it was nice of the manufacturers to use the same color wires for the pins.
Then one speaker went out. Yep, also spliced. They were perfectly fine, but I wanted to listen to some albums and didn't have speakers. Out came the leatherman once again.
I'm sure you're wondering if there's a point to all of this right about now. I suppose it's this, does a penchant for tinkering lead to an interest in older technology or vice versa?

Oh. I thought you were about to modify your old Goodwill keyboard to work wireless... But the wireless card maybe was a LAN, not meant for keyboard, mouse etc?

No, I don't really have to do that trick, even if I had the knowledge and motivation to do it. Besides, when I spliced on the other connector I used the whole cord, so now I can type form about 10 feet away if I want to.

Back