• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Non-Working 5170 System Board

pcdata76

Experienced Member
I found a 256/512 kB system board of 5170 with 128k piggybacked memory on a local auction website. I requested from owner to check the board by connecting an ISA video adapter and AT power supply. He did, but said that he couldn't get a video. The board has one missing memory chip on Bank1 (second) but in this case it should throw a parity error if i'm correct. Btw, i have few questions about the board since i didn't own and used a 5170 and i have a limited knowledge about these boards.
1- Does 5170 board post with missing/faulty chips on Bank 1?
2- Can i use 4164 chips instead of 128k piggybacked chips (with reduced system memory of course) if i replace all 128k chips with 64k ones in a bank?
3- Can i diagnose the board using a POST card? Does it throw a code to the post card even if there is a faulty memory chip on Bank 0 or POST card is simply useless on 5170s too as in the case with 5150?
4- Does a 8-bit conventional memory expansion card like AST 6pakplus work on 5170 or i need 16-bit memory expansion card?

There's another thread in this forum currently discussing replacement RAM for the 5170, I'd recommend checking that out.

I'm personally not an expert on what's possible, but I did want to confirm that I've used 8 bit memory cards in a 5170 to fill the gap between 512KB and 640KB - both a generic card and an actual AST Six Pack Plus - however I did notice it was slower when using that area and I haven't tried mapping it below a 512 start point.

There were many 286 designed cards that gave XMS or EMS that were also able to backfill the conventional too. If you can find/snag one of these that's even better.

Lots of IBM 5170 information at www.minuszerodegrees.net

1- Does 5170 board post with missing/faulty chips on Bank 1?
Yes, providing that bank 0 is working. A "201" type memory error will be seen.

2- Can i use 4164 chips instead of 128k piggybacked chips (with reduced system memory of course) if i replace all 128k chips with 64k ones in a bank?
No.

3- Can i diagnose the board using a POST card?
Yes. The POST codes generated by the 5170 motherboard are listed in the 'IBM AT BIOS' section of the web page at [here].

Does it throw a code to the post card even if there is a faulty memory chip on Bank 0 ...
Yes. See [here].

4- Does a 8-bit conventional memory expansion card like AST 6pakplus work on 5170 ...
* Slower operation, because two 8-bit transfers are required instead on one 16-bit transfer.
* The ISA bus on the 5170 is run 'faster' than that on the 5150/5160. Therefore, some 5150/5160 boards may be unstable.

Thank you for answers. Then, i'll buy the board if seller gives me cheap.
Of course, you are taking a gamble. A 'dead motherboard' symptom can have many causes. And if the cause is not RAM, a POST card might not display anything at all. And if the POST card does display something and then stop at a particular code, that code may 'point the finger' at many motherboard chips.

Mandated government notice: Please gamble responsibly.

Back