• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

[not mine] Wharehouse full of vintage computer stuff in Vancouver, B.C.

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
Saw this on CL today"

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/2002825447.html

Not sure if it's anyone from the forums...

For the sake of archival, here's an excerpt of the post (sans pictures, of course):

"I have a warehouse full of antique and vintage computers, monitors, printers, software, books and other accessories that I have been collecting for over 15 years. They consist of IBM, Apple, McIntosh, Atari, Amiga, Texas Instruments, Commadore, Next, Corona, Radio Shack, Digital, Timex Sinclair, and so on. These items could be sold on eBay in individual lots but I want to sell everything at the same time......not onesys and twoseys. Perfect for a museum or restaurant or collector. Check out the pictures. I have more information on this equipment available to SERIOUS INQUIRIES only. $10,000.00 obo. "

Again, this is not ME... I live near Seattle, anyway. :p

If I only lived closer and had a little more money. These are the kinds of deals that make a person rich in like ten years. Someone is desperate to sell for reasons unknown. Divorce, economy, selling out and moving, etc. The load is huge and way under valued. Just think how much it will appreciate in value in ten years. Might be worth 5 to 10 times it's current value (not the ads selling price).

If I only lived closer and had a little more money. These are the kinds of deals that make a person rich in like ten years. Someone is desperate to sell for reasons unknown. Divorce, economy, selling out and moving, etc. The load is huge and way under valued. Just think how much it will appreciate in value in ten years. Might be worth 5 to 10 times it's current value (not the ads selling price).

I suspect the recovery would be costly all on its own (all things considered, such as number of trips, fuel, mileage...and ultimately storage necessary). Would have to be factored into the total "investment".

Wow. Is this the same $10,000 collection that someone else posted about? ..or that was in Wisconsin or something wasn't it?.. Crazy that a bunch of collectors seem to all be passing it on. At least a good idea to make contact about parting it out or posting it here :)

Wow. Is this the same $10,000 collection that someone else posted about? ..or that was in Wisconsin or something wasn't it?.. Crazy that a bunch of collectors seem to all be passing it on. At least a good idea to make contact about parting it out or posting it here :)

I t hink that was out on the east coast, and it was less...like $1,000.

Across the years, I'm sure I've surpassed the 10k mark, but I couldn't imagine spending that much money in a single sit down. The only reason my wife wouldn't divorce me at that point would be that I spent the money that would have covered the lawyers' fees.

I look at offers like these thinking they were all grabbed from a recycling center or schools over a few years. Anything exotic was flogged on ebay and what is left is parted out non functional or just basic yellowed systems not worth selling on ebay (and it would take months to ditch it all with weekly trips to the post office with a truckload).

So people post adds like this to come clean out their basements and pay them $10,000 to make a "mint" reselling items on ebay. What exactly are you going to do with a stack of monochrome apple II monitors which may not even work? How much does it cost to dispose of ewaste in CA, how about storage space there? Around here all that stuff might make few a couple thousand in scrap (after you rip it all apart and sort it).

I could see some collectors wanting to pick a few items out of those piles for cheap, but the owner doesn't want to do that. Seems like a hoarder to me who could not part with anything until it was too late. I just see too many dupes there of unknown quality to bother with even if it was down the street from me. Odds are that stuff will be at the local scrapper sooner or later.

Good luck if you have $10K to burn.

A bit disturbing (posted on two craigslists). Given.. the "California" seller doesn't have McIntosh systems like the BC/Seattle seller (yeah I was waiting to jump on that). ;-) Wonder if that is just a picture they found somewhere of someone elses stuff?

The use of Restaurant in both postings should be all the indication you need that this is more than likely a scam. If you still fall for it its on you. Yes the latest trend in upscale bistros is having a Apple II at each table.

Do they have themed resteraunts? I used to hit Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon PA (wing place) during the 80's and 90's and they had all kinds of cars and motorcycles hanging from the walls and ceiling (plus one of those funky cars in the parking lot from Freejack the movie). So I can see somebody making a chain of "old tech" themed resteraunts around silicon valley.

Not sure how it can be a scam since you would have to show up and see the stuff to pay (nobody would have all that crap shipped). Could be somebody in the general driving area is cross posting all over craigslist to get attention.

The use of Restaurant in both postings should be all the indication you need that this is more than likely a scam. If you still fall for it its on you. Yes the latest trend in upscale bistros is having a Apple II at each table.

Well, it seems perfectly appropriate for the Café '80s in Hill Valley. Although they might not open for another 5 years.

heh.. I was either Chilis or Applebees or some such restaurant in a small town north of here and they had a bunch of 80's memorabilia on the wall near our table. One item was a Toshiba 1200 laptop. Man that drove me crazy the entire time I was there I kept wanting to see how it was on the wall and if they'd sell it for $40 or something. I eventually gave up and assumed it's probably nailed or damaged and most certainly missing parts (that was my excuse to myself for not asking). Pretty annoying. I did find that wording in the posting odd but didn't necessarily make that distinction other than them sort of throwing the "why would anyone want old computers" idea out there. Still posted twice (something that would be hard to know everywhere) does suck unless they're just posting for north california folks. Does seem odd though since this would obviously go through some sort of phone call, arrangement and other legitimacy checks.

Back