• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Not vintage (yet) but cool - Dell PowerEdge 4200

GottaLottaStuff

Veteran Member
Picked this monster up from a Craigslist ad today. Don't know what to do with it, but was afraid they would scrap it if nobody wanted it.
Damn near killed me carrying it into the house.
2013-09-13_23-33-01_749.jpg2013-09-13_23-39-33_351.jpg2013-09-13_23-36-50_803.jpg

What you need is another one of those and some wood to make a table top with. I am a sucker for old well built servers like that but they use up a lot of juice, take up tons of space, and are heavy to move. Once they are recycled (most are) you will never find another like it.

Well, there is a gutted one on ebay for $900 + $200 shipping, so I could make a table. I was thinking maybe a nightstand, myself. Just out of curiosity I weighed the thing this morning. 98 lbs 3 oz. I need to put some wheels on it.

Wow, that's a nice one. It's kinda small though compared to my HP 9000 D-Class PA-RISC Server...
Just plug in a vga monitor, a kb and a mouse and install an OS on it.
I'd love to have that, but i think you cannot ship it to Italy for less than over 9000 bucks.

I had three giant servers like that at one point. I gave one away and eventually got rid of the other two. I just didn't have any use or room for them.

"but i think you cannot ship it to Italy for less than over 9000 bucks."
Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to Italy and back with the Dell as luggage? $9000 I think would get it a seat in First Class.

Yeah, probably yes, if they accept brick-like things as luggage :p
Look, if someday you'll get on holiday in italy and wanna give me that stuff, just drop me a PM. I love those heavy p-o-s.

Wonder why the server manufacturers were so convinced these systems with their weedy 30W CPUs needed an array of such giant fans. Proliants like the 5500R were the same.

That's just "screaming" for another CPU ;-) Would that happen to be a 333MHz PII? I had one of those once, thought the heatsink looked funny and IIRC there was some kind of thermal sensor attached to the heatsink...

Nice machine

At first glance I thought it was slot-2 - but must be slot-1 as it clearly says PII on it. IIRC SMP systems needed matched CPUs (same stepping)?

Back