• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ntool v1.4

wiwa64

Experienced Member
Just in case anybody cares :)

I made a new version (1.4) of the program NTOOL.
A tool for experimenting with and testing of TCP/IP under (MS-)DOS using packet drivers.

No new features, but bug-fixing.

Attachments

• Ntool-14.zip
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
There is more to NTOOL than I'll be able to figure out any time soon, :) however it is also a good learning tool. So far I've been using it as a port scanner and am looking forward to doing more. Thanks.

No, but don't lose hope - it's on the todo list. I haven't been able to work with my TCP/IP apps either, but I have some time off coming soon and I am planning to dig in again. NTool is on my list ..

Everybody else out there - find an old Ethernet card and we'll help you with the rest!

Mike

I'm late ... but

I've been playing with it this morning and after getting used to the differences between the different versions I am getting used to it. The DHCP configuration worked. DNS resolving worked perfectly this time too, which I think was a trouble spot for me last time.

The telnet mode is really nice! It gets rid of the need for a separate telnet client for when you don't need all of the features of a big telnet client.

Have you run any performance benchmarks to see how fast it can push bytes to and from an older machine? If you haven't I might try it myself just to see how the performance of WATTCP compares to the performance of my code.

Oh, I didn't expect any more comments on this subject at all, therefore i didn't regularily watch it. So please excuse my delayed answer.

The actual answer is "no" anyway. I did not make any quantifying tests at all. I was busy and eventually happy with getting it to run the way it was supposed to. I developed and tested it on genuine 486 and 586 machines under MS-DOS where it performed "sufficiently" fast, that's all i can say.

I'm glad to see that it seems to work for you too. There is often the problem of forgetting "special" conditions during the tests, as was the case with the earlier versions. Therefore it is always good for a program to be tested by someone who did not develop it.

I am generally interested in older machines (8088 class) because the challenge of making them perform is greater. I develop on a 386-40 because the C compiler requires a 386 CPU to run reasonably, but the code has to run well on an 8088.

Running the code on the later processors hides a lot of sin. The 80286 was a vast improvement in cycles per instruction over the 8088, and the 386 with an external cache is very fast. A 486 with internal cache or a 586 with dual pipelines would be too easy. :)

Do you have a web page describing your experience using WATTCP? I am interested in learning about other development environments besides Turbo C++. (I should create my own 'How To' web page for Turbo C++ before I ask the same of others!)

Mike

PS - Check back more often. :)

Sorry, i have no web page describing my experience using WATTCP. Actually i have no web-page at all.

My experience using WATTCP is very limited anyway. Besides re-writing ntool alias netcat, i experimented with two server projects to remotely control a computer running (MS-)DOS via telnet or http.

In both projects my main interest was the general feasibility while perfomance (and even stability) were of less concern. Should someone be interested in them, i could post them here, even though i do myself consider them as not very mature.

Back