• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Nubus IDE controller

Xacalite

Veteran Member
In the 90s I used to transfer large data amounts between PCs by temporarily-attached regular IDE HDDs, sometimes with the help of removable racks.
Once I wanted to do that with a Macinstosh, but no luck, as it only had SCSI.

So the question is: is there an IDE controller for pre-PCI Macs?
Was it available back in the era?

I already did some search, but only found some suggestions to use SCSI-IDE converters...

Nope, there are no IDE controllers cards for Nubus machines. Can't you just use Ethernet between machines? External SCSI JAZ drives (1 or 2GB carts) would probably work also.

OK, thanks.
Yes, nowadays I would probably use network, but back in the era this wasn't so common.
Anyway, I'm somewhat surprised - after all, Nubus lasted until the first generation PPC, when IDE HDDs were already ubiquitous.

OK, thanks.
Yes, nowadays I would probably use network, but back in the era this wasn't so common.
Anyway, I'm somewhat surprised - after all, Nubus lasted until the first generation PPC, when IDE HDDs were already ubiquitous.

Apple only started adding IDE interfaces to their machines after the first gen Nubus PowerPC machines shipped. The Performa/Quadra 630 platform was the first.

They were forward thinking by including Ethernet as a standard feature in PPC machines though.

Back