• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NUXT v2.0 motherboard is now available!

Try disconnecting pin 34 on the floppy cable at the 360k drive. This pin is used for DSKCHG on high density drives but on 360k drives it is usually disconnected or is sometimes used for DISK Ready. This can confuse some floppy controllers, if pin 34 is disconnected, the drive will still function perfectly and you might find the problem goes away.

Thanks, I will give that a try, otherwise I got around the problem by using Norton Utilities SF (Safe Format) utility. This formats the diskettes just fine as it seems to honor the DRIVPARM config in option I setup in the CONFIG.SYS.

I heard back from Monotech. There was a bug in the BIOS. I flashed the updated version and it is now working properly:)

This is why I don't really "get" the NuXT boards. If someone can clue me in as to what the market for these are, I'd appreciate it.

I think it is because the people who want one of those ATX boards have plenty of more modern and reliable parts around then us old farts with stacks of PC/XT/AT parts around.

Lets assume you have 0 spare parts around, now go price out a decent ISA IDE, video, Adlib sound card. Do the same for a decent case with working AT power supply and find a serial mouse, AT keyboard, working HD. All that stuff costs a decent chunk of change on ebay these days with reliability concerns. Using a modern ATX case and power supply without extra adapters and cheap PS/2 keyboards and mice makes life cheaper and easier plus the motherboard is NEW.

I have been collecting for so long now I sometimes forget that the hoard of parts and machines I snagged a long time ago for free or close to it command a decent amount of money now if you can find them. Having grown up before the IBM PC revolution I also have that old knowledge of getting all that crap to work.

I think it is because the people who want one of those ATX boards have plenty of more modern and reliable parts around then us old farts with stacks of PC/XT/AT parts around.

Lets assume you have 0 spare parts around, now go price out a decent ISA IDE, video, Adlib sound card. Do the same for a decent case with working AT power supply and find a serial mouse, AT keyboard, working HD. All that stuff costs a decent chunk of change on ebay these days with reliability concerns. Using a modern ATX case and power supply without extra adapters and cheap PS/2 keyboards and mice makes life cheaper and easier plus the motherboard is NEW.

I have been collecting for so long now I sometimes forget that the hoard of parts and machines I snagged a long time ago for free or close to it command a decent amount of money now if you can find them. Having grown up before the IBM PC revolution I also have that old knowledge of getting all that crap to work.

Those were exactly my concerns about having aging equipment. I at least wanted one XT class system that was brand new and could be paired with relatively inexpensive add-ons. The NuXT fills that need. I still like my old Tandy 1000s better, but as time passes those will need more and more servicing and expensive to keep going.

This is going to be an unpopular post but it's marketed at people who are too stupid to know better. People who like to throw money at problems to get a solution and people who don't like working with old hardware because somehow *old* old computers is hard.

You may have a point with the hardware but you will have to deal with the software side of things, setting up and using MS-DOS, dealing with memory/CPU limitations which come with an XT class system. So you're not getting a complete "ready to play" solution which you don't have to work on.

For the record it's not for me either as I prefer working with vintage gear right down to not even using modern solutions like XT IDE, Gotek Floppy Emulators unless I have no other alternative. But after seeing this video by LGR on a build he did using the first version of the NUXT I must admit that having built literally 1000's of modern computers over the years there is something appealing about doing a new build with new old tech. I've seen people put modern components in old chassis which makes me cringe but this is a different take which I quite liked.

I just wanted to report back I tested a Sound Blaster Vibra16X CT4170 and it works just fine. You have to set the high and low DMA both to channel 1. Here is the relevant portion of my AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6
SET CTCM=C:\SB16
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
CD \SB16
DIAGNOSE /S
CTCM /S
MIXERSET /P

I have tested this with several games and have had no issues.

I thought this was A kit you get this one already assembled that's
not fun and way to much money for me..

Back