• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Nvidia Ge Force 6200 Turbo Cache Texture Glitch

Ghettoblaster

Hey Guys,

I'm in need of some assistance regarding an Nvidia GPU that I just got. Its a Ge Force 6200 TurboCache 512mb edition, driver installation went alright however on certain games I can experience Game Breaking glitches which require me to reset the PC to get it back to normal again. Currently I have the newest edition of the drivers installed so that shouldn't be a problem.

The GPU works flawlessly on games like Age of Empires or System Shock or Warhammer however this issue ocured mostly on high demanding games like Far Cry or Medal of Honor Pacific assault. I have never had such an issue before so this stuff is pretty new to me.

My Specs:

Core2Duo E7500 2.93
GeForce 6200 512 Turbo
2GB DDR2 667Mhz

Monitor: HP Compaq LE1711

All the best,

It's kinda shocking how readily major manufacturers cheap out on this. I still remember opening up a Powerbook G3 to figure out why it was crashing all the time and finding that the "thermal paste" was actually just a rubber pad between the CPU and heatsink o_O

Yup, you are right. It doesn't even have any paste left onto it lt. Its a miracle on how did it even boot in the first place.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hope that fixes it for you. The "TurboCache" versions of video cards don't actually have the amount of memory they state they have onboard. Like the 512M card has either 128 or 256M and parasites the rest from main system memory. Those cards were known to have compatibility and performance issues due to the shared system memory. Some slimy OEMs had as little as 16 or 32M on the card and parasited the rest from system memory.

It's kinda shocking how readily major manufacturers cheap out on this. I still remember opening up a Powerbook G3 to figure out why it was crashing all the time and finding that the "thermal paste" was actually just a rubber pad between the CPU and heatsink o_O

The G3 was so power efficient that it didn't need more than a thermal pad. The original PPC750 up to 366 MHz drew just 7.3W, while the die shrunk version pulled 6W at 500 MHz. I would guess that the thermal pad in your machine was defective or not contacting the die correctly, either was certainly possible. I bought a used G3 desktop that had a defective thermal pad that only contacted half of the die and resulted in the CPU burning up. It would still sort of work, but you had to power the machine on and then soft reboot it. Still wasn't really stable though.

It's kinda shocking how readily major manufacturers cheap out on this.
Do they really? Thermal paste degrades over time, that's just the way it is. The card in question is from 2004. No one can expect the stock thermal paste still being good after 17 years.

Back