• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

odd PCI video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

evildragon

Veteran Member
I got this red PCI video card, that says Artist Graphics 3GA on it, and it has a jumper for PC and Mac support.

On my Mac, it fails to boot, but on my PC, it boots up fine.

I have no idea what this video card can do or anything about it. All I know is that it's old.

Apparently 3GA is the name of the chipset, with bus support for PCI, ISA/VLB (?) and MCA. The graphics card itself may be an Artist Graphics 2000, 2000 Pro, 2000 Twin Pro, 2000I Pro or 2000I Greyscale (the latter two MCA cards). However I don't see any evidence of Mac support, unless PowerMacs from the mid-1990s indeed were PCI based?

You didn't misread on the jumper so it switchable between PCI and MCA, and you insert the card backwards into a PS/2 computer? ^_^

Apparently 3GA is the name of the chipset, with bus support for PCI, ISA/VLB (?) and MCA. The graphics card itself may be an Artist Graphics 2000, 2000 Pro, 2000 Twin Pro, 2000I Pro or 2000I Greyscale (the latter two MCA cards). However I don't see any evidence of Mac support, unless PowerMacs from the mid-1990s indeed were PCI based?

You didn't misread on the jumper so it switchable between PCI and MCA, and you insert the card backwards into a PS/2 computer? ^_^
Macs in the mid 90's did indeed have PCI slots.

The jumper says "Leave open for PC, and close for Mac".

How old does a card have to be?

This card is from 1994 is my understanding, it's 14 years old.

A card from the mid 1990s designed for a 33Mhz, 32 bit bus mastering bus is not vintage. I think that is pretty obvious.

No one uses them anymore, thus I feel Vintage. Especially since some 486's had PCI slots.

To what's obvious to you, is not to others. That's being rude when you purposely add that.

Sorry .. 8 or 16 bits is vintage. 32 bits and still in widespread use today is not. Like I said, it seems pretty obvious.

Not the original PCI spec. No card these days touches the old original PCI speeds, especially rare cards that are multi-compatible. So in other words, it's not obvious to me, but thanks for inferring I'm stupid. Now, leave my thread be, and maybe now someone will say something helpful, like getting it to work on my Mac!!

I have to agree with Mr. Brutman on this. PCI is still in active production and is probably the most wide spread bus there is at the moment. Something thats 32-bit and still in active service isn't even obsolete yet. Its getting close with the advent of PCI-e but its got a long way to go before it hits the classification of Vintage. Yes, it is a unique card. There are several video cards that are dual use like that, its not really too uncommon. They're a bit hard to find anymore but vintage is cutting it too close. I have a PCI card thats Mac/PC thats all decked out in IBM chips. Not really vintage but more interesting and unique.

Considering I was more upset by the fact that Mike added "it's obvious" and it's not to me, being an inferred insult to me, I am done with this forum.

I am gone. Don't bother banning me, I'll save you the trouble and delete the bookmarks.

Too anyone here that knows about this red card, please email me at blackevilweredragon at gmail.com

Last edited:
Bye!

(For the rest of you wondering what is going on, this happens a few times a year.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back