• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oh My God. My 5150...is dead :(

You know, for a bump of an 11 year old thread, this seems to be timed just right. I was re-arranging between my indoor workbench and the garage "deep storage", and moved my 1000SX to a different part of the workbench - moving the Apple IIE Platinum I've powered on maybe twice in as many years out of the damned way. (I might end up selling it off. I never use it, it's just a s*** platform I really don't find interesting, never have. I use my minus-60 more!)

.. so I go to test the 1000 in its new spot, and POP. Out comes the magic smoke.

So far (I'm just stripping it down) it looks like a 3 carton a day chain smoker spit up on three of the 16v axial electrolytic. Ceramics all look good, but duh... I think I'm going to go proactive and replace all 16v and 50v ones.

Laugh is, I have a stock of both in the appropriate ratings -- 0.1MFD and 22MFD, I've even got some 100v 0.5's which are allegedly somewhere in there (I don't have the board out yet). Only one problem...

I don't have any axials for through hole mounts. All I have are solids (Nichicon) in wound package. but... legs match up long enough to reach on the board so... it'll look funny, but should work.

Thankfully I just got a hot air station so this should be hella simpler now.

Sucks but in a way I'm glad it happened when it did. Part of moving things around was to make enough room to pop it open and add XT-IDE with a 1 gig CF card and an IDE zip drive. I'd prefer if stuffs going to blow up it do so BEFORE I add new parts.

Part of moving things around was to make enough room to pop it open and add XT-IDE with a 1 gig CF card and an IDE zip drive. I'd prefer if stuffs going to blow up it do so BEFORE I add new parts.

Do you plan on connecting the IDE zip drive to the XT-IDE card? That will require some driver hacking. Not to mention the fact that most CF cards don't play well with slave devices.

I just acquired a pristine Series A 5150 with 16/64K mobo, keyboard and monitor. Fires up just fine and passes all diagnostics except...when I ran the last diag test, Video Sync Test (option 12 on the IBM Diag disk), it didn't like it. The video sort of tried, then went dark. I assumed it was asking me a question that I couldn't see like: "Is the display correct?" so I entered "y" and it came back to the menu just fine. But, then it wouldn't run the other video tests anymore. It would flash and then no joy, but would always come back to the menu.

I inserted a DOS boot disk and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. Now it displays "131" on bootup, but then proceeds to boot and run ok. Maybe it always did the 131 and I didn't notice? So, I turned if off and haven't had the courage to turn it back on again for fear that I've overtaxed some old electronics with the Video Sync attempt. My first thought is tantalums (which I should probably replace anyway), but not sure if there's something else going on. It has an IBM Mono CGA adapter, btw.

Thoughts?

I inserted a DOS boot disk and hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. Now it displays "131" on bootup, but then proceeds to boot and run ok. Maybe it always did the 131 and I didn't notice? So, I turned if off and haven't had the courage to turn it back on again for fear that I've overtaxed some old electronics with the Video Sync attempt.
I think that is time to pluck up the courage to see if the 131 persists.

It has an IBM Mono CGA adapter, btw.
???

At [here] is shown:
- IBM Monochrome Display and Printer Adapter (MDA)
- IBM Color/Graphics Monitor Adapter (CGA)

Either of those ?

Back