• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old-school overclocking

Big Blues

Experienced Member
Here's a question for you... Has anyone ever tried over-clocking their old machines. I remember back in the early 90's, overclocking a 6MHz 5170 to 8MHz. That was back in the days where overclocking involved replacing the crystal (which IBM was nice enough to make socketed). Also tried 9MHz, but things got a bit flakey (though it was rumoured some 5170's could be pushed that high reliably).

Should you be brave enough to try, I remember the crystal had to be twice the desired speed. So it came with a 12MHz crystal be default, but 16 would push 8MHz and 18 would make 9.

Any other overclocking stories?

Joel

I did a search for overclocking and found this discussion has existed in the past. Oops, I'm new :).

Joel

I recently overclocked an AT motherboard to 12MHz with good results. However, I am unable to go any higher at the moment because of two CPU support chips that are only rated for 8MHz. My goal is 16MHz, but I am not sure if it will be possible for some time. The best replacement chips I can get are only rated for 12MHz, and they are rare and quite expensive. They may run at 16MHz if heatsinked. I am currently wondering if there are similar chips rated for higher frequencies that can be used with an adapter.

To get to 12MHz, I replaced the RAM, CPU and BIOS with parts that could cope with 16MHz operation.

Back